My husband and I have just moved to France to live.  We are retired, we have got our E121's, but when we took them to the social services they said that we cannot do anything until our E111's run out, which is November, 2008.  My question is, if anyone knows, are we covered for health care until then??

If not, what do we do until then?

regards

You should take your E121 to your local CPAM office and register it You will need to take also proof of address,passport,bank account details(a RIB) possibly photographes,Your EHIC is only for treatment outside of your country of residence.

You do not say which region you are living in but whereever it is if you went to CPAM and they told you you could not register till your EHIC ran out then they are wrong

[quote user="snasmith"]

Hello Clair,

Also, do you know how we go about getting a CMU.

Regards

[/quote]

There is no such thing as "a CMU"   

CMU or couverture maladie universal is for residents of france who have no other means of access to the French health care system

If as you state you have an E121 that entitles you to cover via CPAM and the UK Government pays for your health care in France by way of an annual levie

snasmith - did you take your E121's to the local CPAM office?  (you talk about taking them to social services so am not sure where you mean).  If you have E121's in your possession you clearly should insist that CPAM allow you to register with the regime generale.  It would be v unusual for CPAM to be dismissive about E121's as I am sure they like the fact that the UK govt pays to cover them on a per capita basis.

Hello Clair,

We live in Meursault, Burgundy.  And when we went to the social security, a friend of ours who is fluent in French came with us.  They said we couldn't register until our EHIC ran out in November.  Is it because the health rules have changed recently??  Where could we find out if we can register.  I have limited French, although I am learning.  With matters like this they blind me with science!!!  Oh bye the way, did I tell you that we are both retired? My husband is 65 and I am 61.

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Hello sunshine 2,

Thank you for responding to my questions, as you can imagine we are very new at this.  I am not sure where it was we took the E121's, but I will find out.  I was just told it was the social security office. I will definitely follow that up. 

Regards 

The address of your nearest CPAM office is Boulevard Saint-Jacques, 21200 BEAUNE. Opening times are 8.00 to 16.30.

You will need your E121, birth and marriage certificates, passports, proof of address and a bank RIB.

The fact that you possess an EHIC is immaterial - don't even bother to mention it. 

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The fact that you possess an EHIC is immaterial - don't even bother to mention it. 

[/quote]

Except in that, if you tend to visit other European countries you might like to ask CPAM to issue you one (i.e. a French one).  When I registered at CPAM (covered by an E106) I asked them for an EHIC at the same time and was given one no problems.  I actually still have my UK one but I assume it is worthless as UK authorities know I'm resident in France (e.g. HMRC because I don't pay UK tax, DWP because the issued an E106, etc.) and a UK issued one is no good in the UK.

But as SD says - having a UK issued one is not worth mentioning.  In my (limited) experience, if you tell a French bureaucrat something they will record it, consider it, try to act on it, etc. even if it is not relevant.  Thus telling them irrelevant stuff just complicates things as they might select a different set of rules they might decide to interpret differently, etc.  Don't withhold info, but give them only what they ask for - and life gets easier.

Ian

Is it surprising that such confusion exists when the Telegraph prints rubbish like this:

"If you are under state retirement age and not working, then you can get cover lasting up to two and a half years from the time you arrive in the country by getting a European Health Insurance Card (Ehic, or E106) from the Department of Health. This is the replacement for the E111 and gives you access to free or cheap healthcare in all countries in the European Union."

(from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/11/15/cmexpat15.xml)

There seems to be even more confusion about who issues the EHIC. I was under the impression, backed up by DWP information at http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_06.asp and other places, that your EHIC is issued by the same country that issues the E form, rather than the country where you are living. Though I appeciate that it may be different with E121.

[quote user="Will"]

There seems to be even more confusion about who issues the EHIC. I was under the impression, backed up by DWP information at http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_06.asp and other places, that your EHIC is issued by the same country that issues the E form, rather than the country where you are living. Though I appeciate that it may be different with E121.

[/quote]

I have no idea about the rules but when I moved here I assumed the EHIC would be issued by your country of residence.  Thus, when I registered with CPAM for cover under my E106 I asked for one at the same time.  It came through a couple of weeks later (same layout as the UK issues one but didn't really look at it too closely).   I cannot remember if it came through with, shortly before or shortly after the CV.  When I registered the lady wrote on the general paperwork that I wanted EHIC as well - no application form or anything (in my case).

When they took my CV back earlier this month they ignored the EHC (though probably no good any more anyway).

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"][quote user="Will"]

[/quote]

I have no idea about the rules but when I moved here I assumed the EHIC would be issued by your country of residence.  Thus, when I registered with CPAM for cover under my E106 I asked for one at the same time.  It came through a couple of weeks later (same layout as the UK issues one but didn't really look at it too closely).   I cannot remember if it came through with, shortly before or shortly after the CV.  When I registered the lady wrote on the general paperwork that I wanted EHIC as well - no application form or anything (in my case).

When they took my CV back earlier this month they ignored the EHC (though probably no good any more anyway).

Ian
[/quote]

Once upon a time while I was still on an E106 I asked CPAM Charente for a EHIC. They told me I was not entitled to one from them because the UK was paying  for me.

I phoned Newcastle who said that CPAM were correct and Newcastle issued me my EHIC.

So once again it proves the point that perhaps each department works differently just as I pointed out that CPAM Charente did not need a letter from Newcastle saying I was no longer entitled to an E106 to join CMU and just like when I tried to show my P60 like cooops did apparently ,they insisted that I needed my Avis de imposition.

So beware generalizations about any aspect of French admin especially CPAM