Smears

Kathryn

Please excuse this reply coming from a mere male, but when I recently asked my GP the same question on behalf of my wife, I was surprised to find that the French health service does not have a screening programme. In order to have a smear test or a mammogram, you need to visit your GP, who will then write a prescription for you to go to the nearest establishment where these tests are performed. In my wife's case, it would have meant two separate appointments as they are not under the same roof.
No problem in having the tests, but just a long winded way compared with UK.
Good luck.

NB. I think the tests would be chargeable, like any other French medical rendezvous, but I am not sure if a % is recoverable from the state or your insurance.

Make an appointment directly with a gynaecologist (look for your nearest in the yellow pages). You don't have to go through the G.P.

There is a prevention programme, but I think it depends on your age. My gynae was horrified on my first appointment to find out I'd not had a smear for 11 years, and she wouldn't let me leave without having one.

I'm now on HRT and have never been so well looked after in my life. I have an internal (sorry lads!) every six months when I renew my prescription, and a smear and mammogram every two years.

Hope this helps.