Pain Relief during Labour!

mand

I have decided to have my first baby in France, due December. We have a second home here which is hopefully going to become our main home before too long. I have visited St. Malo hospital as recommended by my French GP (he has a friend there who is one of the Gyno/Obstetric docs). Very nice chap, but informed me that pain relief options were either a full epidural (ie. not a new "mobile" one) or nothing! No gas and air even. Does anyone know if this is common practice throughout France or should I shop around and visit other hospitals in my area to see their facilities? Dont get me wrong, Im not planning my pain relief in advance, hopefully I wont need any (!!) but it doesnt instill a huge amount of confidence in me, especially as I will be worried enough about communication problems etc etc.
Thanks.
Mand

Yup, that's it - epidural or not epidural. Do not expect anything else on offer from standard clinics or CHUs. In Nantes there is a place called "la maison de la naissance" which will let you use the mobile one but you have to sign up there when you are one day pregnant otherwise it's too late. Gas and air are not options.

I've had 2 children in France and no experience of UK. Baby number 3 due in a few months but I won't be going to the UK to have it. I'll do what I did for the other 2 - sign up for an epidural and then try not to resort to it. I see this option as a safety net which worked very well the first 2 times.

I have a Swedish friend who had 2 children in Sweden and one in France. She was upset with the lack of pain relief on offer in France. She also didn't want to have a doctor present, but just a midwife and had to go to the CHU for that.

Don't worry too much about no gas & air. I had it for both of mine (in UK)& can honestly say I don't think it made any difference. In my husbands opinion it was very useful to keep my hands occupied so I didn't break his. Second time especially as Joe was a water birth so one hand kept me afloat the other on the mask!

Sue