disability living allowance incapacity benefit

Melotoofus

Moving to france this year and claiming the above benefits will i be able to still be able to claim them in france, if so how will they be payed, uk bank or french. any problems in this, what forms and time scale and any address you may have and what forms to fill in. any info would be gratful. thanks.

you need get a leaflet SA29 from your local Benifits agency,or you can phone enquiry line on 0800 88 22 00 for free and request info. As long as you are getting long term benefit you should be ok, it can be paid into a bank here or into your french account once opened. You need to get a form BF5 to fill in and send it off at least 2 to 3 months before going. Best to talk to them though as some of the info in a few of their leaflets is now out of date, as i found out !!
They also have a very good DSS website: www.dss.gov.uk hope this may be of use, good luck!
Phil

I posted this question earlier on in the forum myself, since then i have contacted the disability benefits unit at Blackpool myself and had this reply regards my D.L.A,

And i quote from the letter recieved:

Thank you for your letter asking if you can still get the allowance while you are living in a European Community country.

The allowance can usually be paid when a person goes to another country in the European Community if

*They were getting the allowance before the 1st June 1992, AND
*The person with the illness or disability is a citizen of the
European Community, AND
*They have worked in the United Kingdom and been paying National
Insurance contributions.

WHAT WE WANT YOU TO DO

If you decide to go to another country in the European Community please get in touch with us as soon as you can.

Please tell us
*Which country you are going to
*Your address abroad
*The date you are leaving the United Kingdom.

A decision maker will then look to see if you can still get the allowance.
End quote

So from this letter that i have recieved it is not out of the question that you will not be able to get D.L.A abroad, otherwise the letter would simply have read no, i'm going to contact them again to clarify what the decision maker looks at in making his decision as it is not good enough to tell you to move out there, i.e. tell them which country you are going to, your address abroad and the date that you are leaving the U.K, and then find out that they are not going to give it to you, although from the wording in the letter i doubt that this would happen, i will post again when i know more as i know that there will be a lot of others out there that would like to know the same thing. Why should having a disability make you a prisoner to the U.K lifes miserable enough.

• 5 months later...
Does anyone have any idea of what to do if you have a car on motability and want to spend time in france? Apparently you are limited to 2 months a year..and have to notify them everytime. Thats not a lot when you have been invited for the summer and the sun would do you good. The alternatives seem to be
1 not take the car
2 pay extra insurance of 50 pounds per month
3 stay at home

Anyone any ideas. It seems that a disabled foreign languages student can't even study abroad without giving up her car. Finding the extra money is impossible as a student.

• 1 month later...