Is an E111 enough for a year in France?

Miles

My wife and I plus two small children are renting a house in France for a year. Assuming we are returning to the UK at the end of the year, will an E111 be enough to get us cover if anyone's ill or do we need to pay for some extra cover?

Any help very gratefully received

Miles

I was under the impression and so was my local CPAM that an E111 is for holiday purposes only in case of an emergency and should you need expensive treatment etc you would have to find a fair bit of money to pay the difference. Normally it is used in conjunction with holiday insurance as a back up. I would personally get some good cover from an insurance company either in France or the UK as having kids myself you never know what is coming next inthe way of accidents etc(as we are continually finding out) What about dental treatment too, in case of a mouth accident or toothache etc?

The impression often given on the French forums and in books is that E111 and E106, and possibly E121 for pensioners, are the only certificates you need. Although most people's needs are probably covered by these there are various other certificates and if you are to stand any chance of acceptance into the French state and top-up systems it is important that you have the correct documents - for example I am in France with E101/E128 certificates; try finding those in any of the so-called comprehensive guides to living and working here. You need to check with the Inland Revenue and/or the Department of Social Security in Britain to make sure you get the right paperwork.

E111 is for temporary visits and I would imagine that you would probably get away with having only that until you were really ill, or needed continuing treatment or medication, in which the fact that you were either living in France or on an unfeasibly long holiday would come to light and your cover would cease.