pries en charge?

opas

Probably not spelt correctly , we were informed a few weeks ago by a doctor that our youngest would recieve free? treatment for the health problems she was born with. He was applying for a form on our behalf which we will now follow up on monday(when the children are back in school)
Today we received a phone call from a large university hospital(2hours drive from us) to say we will get a letter by post of an appointment for our daughter to see various doctors ,she will be requires to stay there overnight(she is 6 years old) so one of us will want to stay with her.
Has any one out there on this forum any idea how the Prise en charge works, will the parent have to pay to sleep, are the childrens wards the same nightmare situations that the UK have... Tv next to every bed in wards..unlimited visitors ,noise till all hours (oh my head!!!)

hello - What a worrying and difficult time for you. I cannot answer all your questions but can help a little bit maybe.

The 'pris en charge' is a demand made by your doctor for treatment to be covered (paid for) by the Caisse Primaire. The doctor writes for approval, and the Caisse Primaire has 15 days to reply to refuse treatment. So, if you have no letter within 15 days, you can assume that treatment is approved for payment. There is a list of treatments that receive 100% exoneration of the ticket moderateur (ie the costs are fully paid). However, even with this 100% exoneration, there may be a fee for the 'daily costs' which is set now at something like 15 euros per day. If you have a top up insurance, this will most likely cover any extra costs for those costs or for a private room

I do not know what children's wards are like. I can only say that my husband has had cancer, has been operated on at a CHU at Bordeaux, and the treatment has been excellent and the staff very sympathetic. I could have had a bed by his side if I wanted. The charge for staying with him was small, and one paid for meals which was also not a lot. I do not think you will find the same circumstances as in the UK. I think you will find it all easier than you fear.

Good luck - I would like to know how you get on. Do email me.
Bon courage
Poozel