insurance top-up delay at start ?

Jdknott

we have been to CPAM armed with E106 etc (don't forget to take a R.I.B. from your bank details) and when we went to Groupama to arrange the top-up insurance we found there was a delay in the commencement of cover,
3 months for general medical
6 months for dental and
9 months for pregancy.
you cannot get cover without the social service registration number, to initiate the policy, so this period without top-up insurance cover (although paying for it!) seems unavoidable.

has anyone found a way around this?

incidentally, there's no medical declaration or investigation if you are under 60 when you sign up the insurance. and after 60 you don't seem to be able to increase your cover.
John Knott

This had been mentioned before on here. Each company has it's own rules, but the three month rule is quite usual. That is why our son stuck with our mutualist. As he had been on ours, he didn't have the three month rule to cope with when he took a new policy in his own name. La Poste do one which he had been interested in, but the truth was that he and we didn't want him to have three months sans cover.

You really would have to shop around for this. It may well be worth your while paying up for three months. AND some companies don't take on new clients over a certain age. You also haven't surprised me that they don't want to increase cover after a certain age, although I imagine that they would charge an awful lot to do so.

Just about to take out a mutuelle with AVIVA. No medical needed, everything covered and it takes effect immediately, from the day of signing. Also, if you sign up before the end of May you have three months free cover.
Regards,
Sue.

We have just taken out a top-up insurance with our bank (Credit Mutuel). I am 63 and my husband will be 65 at the end of the month. The policy took effect from the day after we signed and there was no health check at all. The premium is 99 and covers both of us for the next to top service.

Pat