came to France for a training ship without insurance and had an accident

bacillus

Hi,

I am non-UK citizen working in the UK and paying NI contributions.

Three month ago I came to Paris for a training ship (payed by the British University).

I didn't think about medical insurance so I didn't have any E forms but a few weeks ago I

got ill and had to call the ambulance and had a treatment for a week.

At the end I got a bill for 300 euros, so I am now thinking if there is a way

to get money back when I am back to the UK if I don't have a residency in France (just long term visa)?

Would be glad for any ideas.

Thanks!

I would contact the people in Newcastle if I were you at what used to be the DHSS. It is they who will decide if you had been eligible for an E111 and it would be they who reimbursed you too.

However, we do not as a matter of course get 100% back on medical treatment and we take out private insurance to cover the difference in these costs. So even if you manage to get Newcastle to reimburse you, it is unlikely that you would get everything back.

I think that you need to contact your University services and see if they had taken out insurance for you, hopefully they will have.

Are you an EU citizen?

If you are an EU citizen, then you should have had an E111 from your country and that would have covered you in France anyway.

If you are a non EU citizen, then you had more need for insurance than perhaps someone from the EU and I do not understand why the university didn't at least tell you to get some or take some out for you;

I am not an EU citizen but I just found out that since I am payed by Britain

I could have arranged the insurane for free using Exxx form before going to France

and in this case I wouldn't have to pay all those bills. Now it's too late and I am curious

as well why no one at the university didn't tell me but they just told me that they didn't

think about it ...

Anyway, I will learn from my bad experience ...