Mutuelle or not?

Hubber

Hello

I'm moving to France next month to work for an english company.  I am looking at the option as regards health care.  I will have some health insurance (international health insurance) but this is not apparently "mutuelle".  I'm trying to consider whether I should take out a mutuelle on top of this or simply pay the extra for my health care needs on a day to day level (on the basis that if anything serious happens I can claim on the insurance provided by my company). I have diabetes and need quite a lot of prescription drugs for that but no other health conditions.  I understand that 70% of these costs will be met but then I will need to either pay the extra myself or get a mutuelle - I assume that the mutuelle will be quite expensive in view of my condition and I am therefore likely to be better off effectively "self insuring".  Any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you very much.

Hubber.

A couple of points: It doesn't necessarily follow that because you have a certain condition you get 100% health cover. First, whether or not 100% is granted depends on medical reports - not all people will qualify. Second, the 100% cover only applies to medication and treatment for that actual condition, although you get may 100% for your diabetes you could still (perish the thought) end up paying a large hospital bill if, for example, you break a leg or have a heart attack. Medications are normaly reimbursed at 65% or 35% rather than 70%. In order to have a top up insurance you need to have a French social security number, i.e. you have to join the French system (which you can do if you qualify for the relevant E forms).

Existing conditions do not necessarily affect the cost of a top-up insurance, believe it or not. Particularly if the existing condition means you get 100% from the state, so it will cost the top-up insurer very little.

Just to set the record straight for other forum users, although there are ways of paying tax in France and NI in UK these are generally temporary arrangements under EU law, or, as in your case, for employees on temporary assignments. If you opt to live in France rather than Britain you will be expected to contribute to the social security system if you have any income at all. The UK NI contributions you can elect to make when living overseas are generally to preserve your pension rights rather than pay for healthcare. If you are eligible to join the French health system it is virtually compulsory to do so.

Also the URSSAF are very keen for those who are working here to be paying here. At least around here they are.

I don't know how you could take out a mutualist though if you aren't in the french system either. I didn't think that mutualists worked like that? Wouldn't you have to take out an international health insurance plan.

Ooops should have made that clear it will be 100% of your diabetes treatment ONLY.

But to get that you will have to be in the French system and hold a Carte Vital for which you will have to get something from the UK (paperwork wise) to join although I don't know how that would work.

Your company must know you have diabetes and really I would put it on them to sort out as it is they that are sending you.

Thank you very much for all the helpful replies.  I guess the next question is whether my uk ni contributions would entitle me to the carte vitale? I understand that i will get an e106 so does this entitle me to the carte vitale? Sorry about all the questions but I get the impression that my company doesn't really know what the situation will be (I am the first employee they are sending to france; they are currently acquiring a business in france and i am being sent over for approx 2-3 years to help with the integration) and so I thought it would be a good idea to try and find out what exactly the situation would be myself. 

The diabetes is treated with insulin injections so I think would qualify for any exemptions for medications (I get free prescriptions in the UK).  I'm not worried about any emergency treatment (eg heart attack, car crash) as this will be covered by the health insurance I will be given, so its really just the day to day treatment.  the health insurance is an international policy obtained by the company, which covers healthcare in all countries.  However there's an excess of £100 (payable by the employee) each time a claim is made so I obviously don't want to use this for day to day care. 

The alternative suggestion which I've been given is just to use an address in the UK with a doctors and collect prescriptions in the UK every six months or so although this seems like a lot of hassle. 

Thanks very much again for the helpful replies.

Hubber. 

Ok it's easy.

Apply for your E106 now as it can take a while to get it.

When you arrive get a letter of residancy from your local mayor, just to say you live here.

Take your E106, letter or residancy, birth certificate, marriage certificate (if you have one), passport and a utility bill to your local CPAM. Actually get copies NEVER hand over originals but take them to show the copies are the same. You should then get in the system.

You can then get a mutual if you wish to cover the other 30% for other illnesses you might have when here but if you are generally fit then the risk of not having one is something only you will know.

Quillan, so have I understood, a company can open here and still continue paying UK NI contributions as can it's employees and it's employees can join the CPAM with an E106. And then ofcourse get a mutualist.

If that is right, then I haven't understood a thing, but never mind. Frankly it all leaves me mal à l'aise......

I think we could be talking along the lines of a secondmant like with companies like Compaq, IBM, Barclays Bank where you go and work in an overseas branch for a year then return home. You are still paid in the UK etc as normal (plus living expenses I assume). So to use the CPAM system he would have to register over here by getting a E106 because he is not on holiday and can't use a E111. I don't think we are talking about that old chestnut that keeps turning up of individuals setting up compaines in the UK then working in France to try and get out of paying tax and contributions in France which of course we all know from previous discussions is illegal.

Hello Hubber,

You and your employer are likely to get yourselves in a real mess if you are not careful. Firstly your present international health insurance will probably be irrelevant as far as healthcare in France is concerned.

It may well be possible for you to continue to pay your NI contributions in the UK and your tax in France provided you or, more accurately your, employer sets things up properly. The key to this is for your employer to contact the Inland Revenue (Centre for Non-Residents (CNR)) in Newcastle upon Tyne not the Department for Work and Pensions. As you are certainly going to be working abroad for over a year but under 5 years you could well be issued with a working E106. The CNR would have to agree this with the French authorities. The latter could argue that you should pay the full French contributions but my view is that you would obtain E106 since it looks as though your stay in France will be of limited duration. You would then affiliate to the system and your basic healthcare costs, and those of any dependants, would be covered.

Although your diabetes will be almost certainly covered 100% you may well consider complementary insurance to cover the difference in respect of other healthcare needs. It is possible that the business in France already has a group contract with an insurer or "mutuelle", which you would be eligible to join. Indeed it may well be part of your contract to subscribe to this scheme. If not there is a wide choice of providers in the market so you should be able to find something suitable.

Regards

Peter Owen

[email protected]