Cataract Operation - No E121 Yet

Happy Expat

I'm awaiting a catarct operation in UK and look to have a date within the next few weeks, hopefully. Have been waiting four months for E121 (my husband is described by Newcastle as 'Urgent'). Should I return to UK to have this done or have the procedure carried out in France? We are registered with a local doctor who thankfully speaks English (my French is up to most things but not matters medical). Will it cost to have have this done in France, any idea what sort of scale if so - would any/all of the cost be borne by UK NHS although I do not have E121 in my hot little hands. I am over retirement age by the way. Any help or advice is most welcome

Jane (47)

Jane, have you been in touch with the local CPAM here about chasing up your E121. You could at the same time ask about the costs to get the op done in France as well as you may be able to defer payment until the paperwork comes through. You are lucky to get a quick appointment in the UK, both my parents waited over two years before their very bad eyes were done and Dad has currently been waiting over three months to see a consultant about having a tooth removed as the dentists no longer pull teeth,unlike here.