E106, Voluntary NI Contributions and Social Security cotisations

Elephant

We are thinking of moving moving to France in the next year. I've been reading the thread on what contributions one can expect to pay towards the French health care system and trying to find an example that would fit our situation. Can anyone help?

My husband and I are both 50 this year and are able receive our Occupational pensions. Since we gave up permanent employment we've been paying voluntary NI Contributions. This is more than three years in my case and one year for my husband. Does this count the same as if we had been working and paying the full NI rate through our salary and so would we be eligible for the E106?

We would have our pensions and perhaps some investment income and I've found all the info relating to Social Taxes and Income tax.  But how can we find out what our Securite Sociale cotisation would be? I don't speak French well enough to translate the French website for the website URSSAFF...and would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks very much.[:)]

Zoe

Sussex and hopefully Brittany

If you contact the Pension Service (tel: 0191 218 7777) , they will advise on whether you qualify for a form E106.

Healthcare contributions are based on 8% of your taxable income less allowances (ie, your revenu fiscale de reference) over a 7,083 euro threshold.  If you are able to obtain a form E106, then you will be exempt from contributions for the period of its validity.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Sunday Driver and thanks again for your sound advice...I rang the Pension service and got transferred to the department who deal with "non-working, under state pension age" people who are to be non residents of the UK (they answered the call immediately Tel: 0191 218 1999). I thought I would pass on the info I was told, should anyone be in our position - paying voluntary contributions in lieu of full NI.

As we have not been in permanent employment and so have not paid full NI contributions for the 2 years prior to moving abroad to an EU member state and Voluntary contributions don't count for this purpose, we are not able to acquire an E106. Instead we need to obtain a letter from HMRC Non Residents Section showing we do not qualify for it so we can apply for affilitation to the French State Healthcare system after three months residency. I presume there are companies who offer cover for the three months prior to joining the State scheme, in case anything befalls us...as I realise the EHIC (formerly E111) won't cover us.

More investigations to follow....

Zoe

Zoe

The rules for affilliation to the French state healthcare insurance (couverture maladie universelle) stipulate three months stable residency. In practice, if you produce a form E106 (or in your case, the DWP refusal letter) and your proof of residence, then your CPAM will probably register you straight away.  We registered under an E106 within a week of arriving in France. 

You cannot obtain complimentary insurance until you have registered for CMU and been issued with a social security number.  In any case, your EHIC covers you until such time as you are in the French "system".