Grande Optical - BEWARE!

Crevette

I want to get some new glasses and so went for a visit to Grande Optical. There was a news story recently about how "new to France" is the ability to get an eye-tested in the shops. I had done this is the UK at Vision Express (the same chain) for years and years!

I didn't want to buy my glasses at Grande Optical (I has seen a model which I wanted to order this from an internet site which Grande Optical didn't have).

At the counter, the guy assured me I could have the ordinance for 28 euros. So I had the test and simply wanted to pay my 28 euros for the eye-test result and go.

But NO. They refused to give me the ordinance because I would not buy my glasses there. They guy who said I could have my ordinance said they he had said that I could have my ordinance "in another Grande Optical" and that this was for "priviledging it's Clients".

I was then in the ridicolous situation of being told to pay 28 euros for nothing at all! (apart from the pleasure of having a test)!!!

I then became a little bit annoyed about this and eventually got them to cancel the eye-test change (after a heated debate about how ridicolous the situation was!).

So now I am left to organise another test (this time with a real optician) - and will order glasses from an on-line site (they don't seem to exisit in france but there are many in the UK and US) which will be substantailly cheaper.

-Rob-

You really would be better to go to an "opthalmologist". Check the yellow pages. 

You can then go online or to an opticians for your glasses...if you need bifocals etc. it's better to go to an optician for your first pair.

Don't ever go to an opticians in France for your first eye test, they only do a very basic test.

Aly