Suffering Depression in France

chezlesmets

I'm a journalist living in France, researching the subject of depression and how people who live in France cope with it. In particular I am trying to find out if anyone has experience of anything other than the doctor handing out anti depressant tablets. Has anyone used alternative therapies, psychiatric help, counselling, cognisive behaviour therapy - my research so far shows this has not travelled across the Channel, has anyone found a self-help group, or have these not travelled across the water either? The article is to be printed in a quarterly UK magazine for depression sufferers. All information will be treated in the utmost confidentiality, no names or case histories will be mentioned.  The article will merely focus on treatment and/or lack of it. 

If anyone can help with my research, please email me direct, and I will be pleased to refer them to the magazine editor who verify the above, should they so wish.

B

Not had personal experience, but all these services are available in France.  However, most talking therapies usually do the talking in the language of the country so it can be difficult to get the help needed if you are english speaking.  That is not to say that health care professions here cannot speak English.  There is an English speaking counselling service covering the whole of France advertised in the Connexions newspaper.  As a researching journalist I am sure you will be able to find them.  That should give you a lead.

I would agree that there appears to be a high incidence of suicides, particularly in middle-aged men and I know of several who have had financial, professional or family problems and, rightly or wrongly, have seen suicide as a way out.