Flu Jab Season

mint

Christmas?  No, no too early for me, can't get my head around all of that stuff just now.  But, the season of flu jabs, that's entirely different and interests me a great deal.

I'm asthmatic and need to avoid chest infections and my OH nearly died one Christmas from a bout of flu (I thought he was just saying he felt ill in order to avoid doing the dishes after Christmas dinner!)

How would I know when the appropriate vaccines are ready in France?  No probs in the UK; our surgery know we are susceptible and normally send us an appointment.

Any elderly infirm out there who know from experience? 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Any elderly infirm out there who know from experience? 

[/quote]

What a blooming cheek.[:P]

Your pharmacy will be able to give you this info.

Our top up insurer (and others that we looked at) will reimburse the cost in full on the basis that this will probably be the cheaper option than paying for all the medicines if you do get the 'flu.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Thanks, Benjamin, and I want to congratulate you on being brave enough to admit to being elderly infirm.  Will have a word with the people at the pharmacy.  Then, I suppose I get a script from the doctor and then ring the nurse?[/quote]

I can't be exactly sure but I think your Pharmacist can dispense a 'flu jab without a doctor's prescription. 

Try it: the worst that can happen is they tell you to go and get one.

It has just been announced, that the flu vaccine for the coming season has just arrived in the pharmacies.

That piece of news is /was widely available to all in French newspapers, and on French TV ....

This year's flu is expected to be more virulent than last year's, and to hit about 2 million people in France whereas it was one million last winter.

Flu vaccine is free to anyone over 65, and to other categories of people at risk. Naturally, you have to be registered with the Secu for that, and I believe, have your medecin traitant write a prescription for it, unless he/she gives you the jab him/herself.

Tony Dordogne, do you really do it yourself.  Last year I had a nurse come round and as an ex nurse myself and a diabetic who stabs myself on a daily basis I thought 'I could have done that' but didnt know if it was allowed.  I will be asking my doctor when I see him next month but just curious.

Today, I went to the pharmacy and paid in excess of 12 euros for our flu jabs.  Ok, still not a lot of money and still worth it.

I know for a fact that this local pharmacy is expensive because I have had stuff for hayfever at less than half of what this pharmacy charges.

So, now, I've got the stuff and I will give it to OH and myself this evening.  Next question, how exactly do you go about getting reimbursed?  My OH is 76 years old and I have asthma and, on those grounds, I think the vaccine is free. 

Not a clue how to get the fueille (spelling?) des soins.  Would rather not bother our doctor as she is always flat out and would like to just get on with it.  Wouldn't mind being reimbursed though, if that's what we are entitled to.

Tony, what do YOU do after you have got the vaccines?

Reimbursement is a different ball game.  If you want your money back, you really should have seen the doctor first and got your prescription.

You'll have to go back to the pharmacy and ask for a brown form, if they will give you one, send it off to CPAM.

Technically I can get mine 100% but it's so cheap, I don't bother with that one and OH is happy to pay tho she is also covered for it.

Thanks, Tony.  I don't find it "so" cheap but, as I say, I don't particularly want to bother our overworked lovely doctor and so we will leave it at that this year.  At least we have the stuff and, next year, I will not use this pharmacy again.

Update:  I received a form through the post today from CPAM.  I have to take it to my medecin, who signs it twice, then to the pharmacy, where they give me the vaccine for free, one of the pharmacy staff signs it off also.

I then contact the nurse who will come and give me the jab for free, she signs the fom, return to CPAM, and it's all for free, just a bit bureaucratic.

First time this has happened but I think it's the French system - and I think everybody over 65 gets the form as a matter of course tho I'm not absolutely sure.

I got my form through today too (asthmatic).

I didn't bother last year although I had for all the years before apart from when I was pregnant or breastfeeding. But I think I will get the jab done this year if it's going to be more virulent than last year, not worth the risk.

My OH got his form today but, we've already bought the vaccines.  I didn't get a form despite being severely asthmatic.  Gave myself the jab this evening as I can't be bothered with "the blonde one" (nurse) described in another thread but OH decided he'd put his off until when "there is daylight and you can see what you're doing"!

Men!  But I feel very virtuous, having done what's needed! 

Tony

Have got the stuff so will just get on with it now.  Thanks anyway.  Next year, we shall know to wait, go to the doctor, etc.

Jill & Paul

All I did was put needle in my thigh, withdraw a bit to ensure that I hadn't gone into an artery or vein, then push the contents of the syringe into the site.  OH was not too sure and wanted to wait.  But, I dare say I shall be putting his jab in as well.

Basically, all you need to do is choose a site with plenty of muscle, outer aspect of forearm or thigh or, of course buttock and away you go.  Do be careful if you are doing the buttock site: MAKE SURE YOU GO TOWARDS THE HIP!

Good luck, if you have more questions, just PM me!

I got my letter about the vaccination this morning so presumably I'm at the moment still in the system. Need to go doctor, get prescription and then go back to doctor to do injection.Seems a bit silly needing to see the doctor twice. I'm considering DIY. I inject myself 4-5 times a day (type 1 diabetic) so it really  shouldn't be a problem but I'm used to tiny needles.