Beware Of Scam Emails

Ex Forum Admin

I know most of you are aware of potential scam emails but for those that are not sure please read the following:

Unfortunately due to the recent increase of online trading, there has been a rise in fraudulent communication with sellers/renters attempting to trick them into handing out confidential details.

One of the most prominent scams targeted at sellers is the Nigerian Advance Fee Fraud or 419 Scam. There are many variations of this scam; however the most common type works in the following way

• The fraudster will contact the seller stating his/her interest in the property for let and request that the seller responds, often requesting a price or more details

• After the seller responds, the fraudster attempts to arrange a deal with the seller, where in the fraudster will send a certain amount of money (maybe as a deposit) and then request some of the money back. The seller then refunds the smaller amount of money while waiting for the original payment to go though. However the original payment from the fraudster falls though leaving the seller in a helpless situation.

This scam normally occurs via emails. Common things to be aware of are spelling mistakes and poor use of language but not always.

Below are some examples of scam emails

"Hello, Am interestd in the house you have for let on website. Am very keen to book 10 weeks. Please contact immediatly using your own email, have funds wiaiting to book."

"Hello, I'm Lisa Delan From 14 layburn palace,peterlee,co-durham, UK. I have to contact you regarding my client who saw your ad of the property you posted for rent.My client has read the property details and he was glad that such beautiful property is still available for long term let,he will like to let the property.He appointed me to proceed with the transaction and he would like to know the firm price via E-mail to avoid complication. Do state out your firm price to proceed with the transaction."

For further information please visit The Metropolitan Police Website.