health care

bill k

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coops and Makfai, the law about titre de sejour has not changed since the compulsory titre de sejour for European residents was done away with at the beginning of 2004. It has always been possible, and allowed in law, to demand one even if you are not compelled to have one. It is perfectly true that many prefecture officials have been reluctant to issue them, and sometimes even refused to do so, but that doesn't alter the existence of the law.

Of course, the residence certificate from the mairie under the forthcoming regulations is only a titre de sejour in a different form.

[quote user="Will"]

Coops and Makfai, the law about titre de sejour has not changed since the compulsory titre de sejour for European residents was done away with at the beginning of 2004. It has always been possible, and allowed in law, to demand one even if you are not compelled to have one. It is perfectly true that many prefecture officials have been reluctant to issue them, and sometimes even refused to do so, but that doesn't alter the existence of the law.

Of course, the residence certificate from the mairie under the forthcoming regulations is only a titre de sejour in a different form.

[/quote]

Quite! That is why I was not too surprised to read of Bill's experience.

I wonder if everyone knows about the Mediateur de la Republique (ombudsman).

http://www.mediateur-republique.fr/

(there are other links if you just google it)

He/she is the ultimate resort that every citizen (I note here that there is no discrimination of nationality, according to the site, so the service is available to non-French also) has regarding unfair, inappropriate or illegal decisions taken by any governmental body or state administration against individuals.

Sorry if it turns out to be inappropriate, but I am beginning to think that if I was affected by the 5-year rule of residency being contravened, this is the way I would try to go.

The Mediateur acts in favour of the people against the state, and those services are free.