Personal Health Insurance

john5655

Not a new topic, but a new angle.  I'm new to this forum, but a few years back did quite a bit of research on a similar forum which I now cannot find.  My plan has been to retire to France when my work contract expires at the age of 55 late next year.  So it's early retirement (hopefully).  And as I am already an expat, I will not qualify for an E106.  That means I will need to take out PHI until I reach 65 and start receiving my UK OAP and qualify for an E121 (I am keeping up all my NI contributions voluntarily for this purpose).  My early research about joining CMU is now overtaken by events, it seems.

My question, if anyone has got around to this experience out there, is how difficult is it to find a policy which meets the official requirements?  I've visited some of the insurance providers and can get some idea of costs involved, but none seem to give any assurance about compliance.  Also, what are their expectations on current health status?

Grateful for any views/comments.

Hi!

Basically the CPAM has to check that your insurance gives you a coverage similar to the CMU.

But in practice, there are no feedback of such checks - and there are apparently no texts available on how they do the check.

Basically you havee to ask the insurance companies who you ask for quotes, if they have any experience here. They would be 1st concerned.

Yours,

giantpanda

I will need to take out PHI until I reach 65 and start receiving my UK

OAP and qualify for an E121 (I am keeping up all my NI contributions

voluntarily for this purpose).

Not quite, once you have been a resident in France for 5 years, you can apply to CPAM under conditions of residency.

Thanks guys

firstly, yes I realise about the five year residency rule, and hopefully will be able to comply and transfer to CPAM then

also, I did visit the link you provided, and it was the best one I could find giving information about the new requirements

there's still this lingering doubt in my mind that having gone to all the trouble to plan for and arrive in France to live that (1) an insurance company will actually accept me and OH as an acceptable risk, and (2) that the policy will meet CPAM requirements

it will certainly be a huge relief to find someone who has been through this process since the November 2007 change