Dentist

Benjamin

It looks as if I'm going to have to have a crown replaced by either a bridge or an implant. I know I can ask for a devis but does anyone have an idea of costs for either.

Also, the dentist tells me that if/when my crown falls off again she will have another look but it is most probable I will need to make an appointment with an orthodontiste.  Does anyone know what the difference between the two is?

Wikipedia says:

Orthodontics is a specialty of dentistry that is concerned with the study and treatment of malocclusions (improper bites), which may be a result of tooth irregularity, disproportionate jaw relationships, or both. The word comes from the Greek words ortho meaning straight and odons meaning tooth.

Orthodontic treatment can focus on dental displacement only, or can deal with the control and modification of facial growth. In the latter case it is better defined as "dentofacial orthopedics".

Orthodontic treatment can be carried out for purely aesthetic reasons—improving the general appearance of patients' teeth and face for cosmetic reasons—but treatment is often prescribed for practical reasons, providing the patient with a functionally improved bite (occlusion).

Ameli says:

For a crowns and bridges, fees are not fixed.  The tariff for a crown is 107,50 reimbursed at 70%.  For a three element bridge, it's 279,50€ reimbursed again at 70%

More details [url=http://www.ameli.fr/assures/soins-et-remboursements/combien-serez-vous-rembourse/soins-et-protheses-dentaires/consultations.php]HERE[/url].

I had quotes earlier this year for a bridge (approx 1200€) and an implant (approx 1500€). The quotes were for the prosthetic only and did not include additional work like fitting, anaesthetics, root canals etc.

The implant is a longer process, requiring a temporary prosthetic for six to nine months. http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/leafletdetail.php?LeafletID=20 The bridge affects two healthy teeth. There are pros & cons with both procedures.

Remember that the reimbursement will be at 70% of the base tariff, not 70% of the actual cost. A 'standard' 100% topup will top up the remaining 30% of the base - if you want a bigger contribution from your topup you need to pay for a higher percentage than 100% or take out specific dental cover. A lot of people unfamiliar with the system think that a 100% topup means that it will repay in full - not so.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I was aware that the CPAM list is only a fraction of the real cost but I didn't realise that this sort of treatment was so costly.

The link given by àme was very informative so special thanks there.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the repair to my crown, which is attached to an old stump that is a little loose in the jaw bone, holds or else there goes Mrs Benjamin's Christmas present for this year.   [:-))]

Thanks Benjamin, glad you found the info useful. *glows* In my case, after some research into the pros & cons of bridge vs implant (both of which give me cold sweats [:'(]), I decided to get a second opinion... and ended up with just a filling. I've probably only deferred more extensive treatment, but at the moment there's a big wodge of cash under the mattress that otherwise wouldn't be there. And I can still eat apples!  Moral: never visit a hungry dentist. [;-)]

I live in a pretty poor area and there are several dentists, I think mine may be charging the standard rate or even less, X/Rays, root canal work,a temporary filling then a second appointment for fitting the crown came to less than €100 I am sure, which was rebated at 65%.

It may pay to shop around, when I asked my dentist when did he want to see me for the next check up he had never heard of this, come back if and when you have toothache said he.

Mind you none of the locals have any teeth remaining after the age of 40 and my lo-cost crown has recently parted company [:)]

It was fun trying to remove the titanium screw that remained though, I will give it to him when I go back to try and save a few euros!