Request for advice.

padi

Hi, I am after some advice. Up until recently I was living in Seine et Marne working at a holiday centre for school children. I am now living in England but am looking to return to France, to Paris. I know that to rent an appartment in France through an agent immoblier it is common practice to give three months proof of earnings to show that you are earning a sufficient amount, I believe three times the monthly rent. However there is a good chance when I return to France I will not have a job lined up. Does anyone know if it will be possible to pay, say 6 months rent as a guarentee in the event that I dont have a job already lined up? as this is what I had to do when I first returned to England.
I would be most grateful of any advice.

merci d'avance

Since you've not received a response ...

The following relates to immos and normal contracts:

Taking 6 months rent in advance is not legal here.

Guarantees, though, are often required and can be provided by relatives, employers or banks (in each case they need to be in France).

Presumably your French is adequate for discussions with immo agencies about what they need and what they might be prepared to accept (many will budge as much as they can) and the holiday centre in Seine-et-Marne - will they write you a nice reference? Have you got pay slips from them?

Have you got a French bank account? Without that, it's all a non-starter. Quick and simple to set up (in France) you can also pay over the odds and go through a complex (and slightly long) set-up process with Credit Agricole's "Britline" while still in the uk.

Start enquiries above sooner rather than later.

Failing to meet the requirements as outlined by Chessfou, your other possibility would be to scour the "petites annonces" and deal directly with a landlord. Some "particuliers" can be more relaxed about all the guarantees and guarantors, and prepared to believe in your solvency if you offer proof which is outside the immobilier's parameters. There are flat or house owners who prefer to deal directly with finding their own tenants, this is perfectly legal and they do comply with all other rules, such as a 3-year contract etc.... They tend to be few and far between, but they do exist, just be prepared to search and not  get disheartened.

[quote user="5-element"]

Failing to meet the requirements ...  your other possibility would be to scour the "petites annonces" and deal directly with a landlord. [/quote]

Which is exactly what we did to find and secure the house we rent.

Sue

Ok, thanks for all your advice. The company I was working for in Seine et Marne was an English company, but I was working at their French subsiduary, so I should be able to get a good reference in French from them. I do have a french bank account already so that shouldnt be a problem.