an E121 question

Patf

I received an E121 when I reached retirement age, and we were given one for my husband too. We each have a carte vitale, each with a different number.

I always thought that the number on my husband's card was his social security number, and have been entering it on the brown forms when claiming reimbursement. This seems to have worked.

But yesterday we were at a clinic arranging for his admission for a colonoscopy next week and the clerk said the number on his card wasn't the one she needs. She said a man's number always begins with a "1". So I gave her my card and she looked on the computer and it seems he has my number, or is insured secondary to me.

Can anyone explain this?

And another question, he has his 65th birthday soon - will he get an E121 in his own right?

He may be named as dependent on your CV via your E121, in which case, he piggy-backs on your cover.

Generally speaking, a man's SS number starts with a 1, a woman's with a 2.

However, some start with 7 or 9, for instance when the person is temporarily covered by an E106 or when the person is a foreign student.

Can anyone explain this?

Yes, you got an E121 and so he piggybacked on to it as a member of your family " a dependent",  so you are the "account" holder.  Although if the SS number you quoted is as on your Attestaion I cannot see why it should not have been accepted, although as Clair says men's CVs normally start with a 1 so maybe they thought it was an error.

And another question, he has his 65th birthday soon - will he get an E121 in his own right? 

Yes, you can change the situation so that he no longer piggybacks on you or you can reverse it.  Not having done this yet I cannot see any immediate advantages to changing it but there might be some advantages if one of you is thing of " checking out" before the other.[:D].

It is probably just because you have changed status.  Normally under an E 106 or CMU base the man is the "account" holder and the wife the dependent.  If the wife gets an E 121 first then she becomes the account holder and the husband the dependent.

This has all just been explained to me at our local CPAM.  Both our SS numbers have been changed without any written notification and opur existing attestaions cancelled. It was explained that its all because the O/H has got an E121 and has now a new SS number beginning with 2 and I am piggy backing on her card now, I was given a new Attestation this morning.  Hope that makes sense