Bombe allergic snizzles?

Jackie

Just to raise again the subject of allergic rhinitis in these old French houses, we went to see the doc yesterday and raised this subject as we both now are suffering quite badly with secondary repiratory infections, more than just a snizzle! He suggested getting a bombe anti-allergique and spraying along all the edging tiles at the bottom of the walls. The only such bombe I can find on the web seems to be one which kills house mites, acariens, and molds and I wonder if I have misunderstood what he was saying or if not, what make of bombe others have used. 

We have tiled floors throughout and no carpets, just a couple of door mats so I would have thought nowhere for the little blighters to breed other than bedding. We find downstairs is worse than upstairs. I gather that house mites may feed on molds which may be why he suggested spraying along the bottom of the walls downstairs as if there were any damp, none visible, that is where it would be. I did suggest to him an air-filter/purifier but he was not in favour of this solution and having looked at the net one for the whole of our ground floor, nearly open plan, would be quite expensive so I would like to be certain  it would help before buying one. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you use to solve it?...........J

I always feel that my allergies are because of having beams in our (old) house, although if the picture of the cats means you have some then I should be really ill in your house!!

I have antihistamine all year round, but needed that in the UK too in a modern house.  A hopeless case!

Mrs H.

Thanks for the replies. Pretty certain it is an allergy to house mites and nothing seasonal as have it all year round though more in Winter and only in the house. Used to have EPD injections in the UK for this and it was a complete cure. Have not found EPD being used around here so the problems have resurfaced. I will try the bombe suggestion and maybe an air purifier though would be obliged to anyone that has one for more information/recommendation. I would be concerned about antihistamine for long periods without a medical control. No book mites seen and we were tested for cat dander allergy with negative results.....................................J

Re Antihistamine and the comment above:  Mine is prescribed by our doctor here and I have regular check-ups, he is happy that I take it.  In the UK I just bought it in a pharmacy as at that time I was under 60 so no free prescriptions.  I have multiple allergies!  All animals, pollen, house mites and just "dust" - I cannot empty a vacuum cleaner or even dust a room without sneezing, and I do keep the house as clean as possible. Had all the tests as a teenager, had anti-sensitivity jabs which worked brilliantly for about a year but then...

I have not tried these "bombe" things so cannot comment.  I do hope you get some relief soon,  I have an inhaler for when I get breathless.

Mrs H.

Hi again Mrs H and sorry to hear that you have multiple allergies. I had been set up to have the desensitisation shots some years ago but they were cancelled at the last minute as someone decided that they were too risky as they had seen off a few people due to anaphylactic shock . The EPD injections were a different kettle of fish and were low risk and worked really well, it is just a pity that we cannot get them here, used to go to the The Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital for these about three times a year. In my case it was thought that the allergies were linked to having IBD and something about large molecules getting into the blood stream. I wonder if food allergy is also an issue for you, in which case you might find this book of interest if you have not already read it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-All-Mind-Richard-Mackarness/dp/0330245929 

Many thanks for your good wishes and hope all goes well for you..........................J

Thanks Jackie,  no I don't think food allergies are my problem (apart from coffee + stress giving me a migraine - one or the other alone is OK!!) Book is interesting though.

I am interested in this "bombe' thing, but no replies from anyone who has used one.  We have no damp but all houses have house mites and I think the dust from beams, and dust etc falling down through the ceiling from upstairs is often the problem, especially as you say your symptoms are worse downstairs.  On part of our house the ceiling downstairs is the floor upstairs and dust certainly comes down.

Hope you get some replies to original query.

Mrs H

Ok well I tried an Actifed tablet this am with brilliant results. Chest cleared and nose dried up within an hour or two. It is an antihistamine with something else and good for sensitivity to house mites, pollen, and general allergic rhinitis. Proof, if proof were needed, that my response was an allergic one and not an infection. Managed to get a bombe called Acardust 400 from the local chemist. Not cheap as cost 28.51 Euros for this largish aerosol of 400ml but we will give it a try. Says you only need to use it every three months. Will report back if you wish if it has any good effect. One good thing is that the destructions are in both French and English but only on the box and not on the sheet inside. Not yet convinced the problem is house mites as have recently decorated downstairs including painting all the walls and the beams with no effect on the allergic reactions which have been just as bad as in previous years, if not worse this year...................ATB......................J 

PS Only mentioned the book as some think that food allergy or intolerance can tweak the autoimmune system giving rise to other problems like skin reactions to harmless substances and one assumes this could include the lining of the nose and throat, lungs etc.

My daughter and her two children are allergic to house-mites and she says that they have been "cured" since she started hoovering the mattresses and washing the mattress covers every week. I used to do it when she lived here (the French allergologist always said that mattresses and carpets were the culprits!) and she decided to give it a try.

Yes indeed and used to do this but I wonder if the filters in the average vac would stop the little blighters and their poo getting through in which case they would be spread all over the house. I understand that it is their poo which causes some of us problems. In other words are the microfilters in vacs really good enough?

See  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/72190.php   .....................................................J