Carte Vitale in India

Edward Trunk

I am going to Goa for two months in Jan/Feb, escaping the dreadful Mediterranean winter. I went to my mutuelle provider to see if they might offer me health insurance. He said no, but he also said that my Carte Vitale will work in India - ie, I pay up front for any treatment, and the French will re-imburse me. Is he right?

If you go on vacation to a country that is not part of the European Economic Area, your medical care received abroad may be supported by your Health Insurance Fund under certain conditions.

Only unforeseen emergency care will eventually be covered by your Health Insurance Fund.

You must pay your medical expenses on site then keep the invoices or payment vouchers and present them to your Health Insurance Fund on your return. In light of the evidence, the medical advisor of your Health Insurance Fund will assess whether or not you were in an emergency situation. They will then either grant or refuse reimbursement for your care, within the French standard rates in force.

Note : The amount of reimbursement to be paid cannot exceed the reimbursement that you would have been granted if the services had been provided in France.

Source: www.ameli.fr