Health Insurance

spiceoflife

My partner and I, 52 and 48 respectively, are planning on moving to France. We intend to eventually set up a gite business but we will have to earn a living until that time. We have been told we will need to have medical insurance. Can anyone advise on what we need? Are we covered by UK NI contributions? If so for how long?

Hi spiceoflife welcome. As to Gites I do not own one but seriously there is oversupply at this moment in time and when there is oversupply one sees low income and occupancy rates. Some of our colleagues over here do well others not so well and that to is the economics of life.

It seems that belt tightening is called for all over Europe so all I would say is to do the research and then do it again and make sure you have an exit route for if not then bites and bums come to mind. Of course and very unfortunately some of our fellow countrymen and women have moved back to the UK and thus there may be bargains to be had on the purchase front. Then of course you must ask yourself 'why did it not work for them?' I do hope I am not being negative but simply and of late have seen and heard of rather sad stories.

Just to add weight to what Dragonrouge has said, please please please do lots of research about life in France before you even consider it. Particularly the health cover, which is excellent but not cheap. Read, read, read. If you speak good French, life should be easy, if you dont it can be incredibly hard. Good luck