Is top-up health insurance really necessary?

Blossom

In fairness they usually creep up and up. My son was paying a very small amount when he was 20 and 8 years later it is twice the amount it was (still not a lot) and will continue to go up. Also costs go up, so it is no surprise that top up costs more.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our insurer told us that once you had entered into a top-up contract, the company was only allowed to increase the premiums by a rate agreed with government every year.  i.e. in theory there can be no penalty just because you are getting older and needing more treatment.  I would be interested to know if this is correct.  Certainly my husband has had vast amounts of medical treatment and ops and scans and tests etc etc over the last few years, and yet his premiums do not seem to reflect any alteration other than the standard increases.

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Laotze"]A small point that doesnt seem to have been mentioned in any of the posts on this thread - your premium for a mutuelle is set AT THE AGE OF ENTRY. Perhaps this is why for French people who start paying in at the age they start work, it does not seem too expensive. Those British  who start at retirement age will find their premiums very much higher. My premiums are a fraction of those of my husband who is a decade older than me. Those who have decided to put off joining a mutualle until later will find their premiums have gone up in the interim.

[/quote]

Or will find that many insurance companies refuse to insure you at all.

This happened to us, but I did finally find a company to insure us.

[quote user="Chrissie"]

Our insurer told us that once you had entered into a top-up contract, the company was only allowed to increase the premiums by a rate agreed with government every year.  i.e. in theory there can be no penalty just because you are getting older and needing more treatment. 

Chrissie (81)

[/quote]

Yes this is correct - your premium will not increase if you have a lot of  claims but only, as stated, at the agreed rate per annum. And many mutelles dont take new clients over 65. Those that do are at much higher premiums than younger people. My premium is a third of my husband's who was 63 at the time.