eye problems.

maude

Ok so we have to wait 5 months for an opthalmologist to carry out an eye test.Now what happens if urgent (to the patient) eye problems occurr.I phoned the opthalmologist that I have my R.V for may to ask for an urgent appointment.They dont do it I was informed.The second Optho in Fontenay Le Comte this morning had got a phone line problem cos France telecom said so.The optho department in our local hospital was engaged all the times I phoned.Now what.Eyes and Dentistry,and gyno for the ladies does not require your generaliste intervention.Also what is the point of paying again to see the generaliste.Any advisce welcome,but tomorrow I am storming the optho and the ,opital.seems idiotic as usual to me. Maude

Your opthalomogist appears to be fully booked until May.  The Fontenay man is currently uncontactable because of a phone problem. The hospital telephone, on the other hand, was merely engaged when you rang, so I'd try ringing them again.

As you say, you don't have to consult your generalist so you don't have to pay him.....[8-)]

So what's 'idiotic as usual' about this?

The opho department at the hospital will see you immediately if you think it is urgent. If it is a teaching hospital you wont find better treatment in France.

You havnt mentioned what your urgent eye problems are (perhaps it was a hypothetical question) but a sudden loss of vision, cloudiness, seeing flashing lights, soreness, redness, irritation etc will all be reacted to with the utmost urgency.

Although it is true that there is usually a pretty long wait to get a routine eye test in France, most opthamologues set some time aside for urgent consultations so if it really is urgent you should get seen quickly.

You may need to go via your medecin traitant to get an urgent slot, but I would have thought it would have been well worth the small non-refundable proportion of the GP's fee to jump the queue?

Husband went to les Urgences with an eye problem and he saw the on call opthamalogist immediately.

AND re those long waits, we found that if we said that we were interested in laser treatment, then suddenly an appointment was available too.

The hospital clinic in Fontenay had a 2 month (a tiny bit less then) waiting list for an appointment, just had my test done last month. M Ballet there is happy to do the consultation in English or French. If you are near Fontenay any time soon just pop in hope you get the helpful receptionist :))

• 6 months later...
Eye infections occur when harmful microorganisms — bacteria, fungi and

viruses — invade any part of the eyeball or surrounding area. This

includes the clear, top layer of the eye (cornea) and the thin, moist membrane lining the outer eye and inner eyelids (conjunctiva).

• 2 months later...
It has become very common now days that people spend hours before television and computers. Especially if you are a computer professional, there is usually no escape from it. This is the main reason of many eyes and vision related problems in future. Here are some useful eye care tips for computer users.

•    After every 20-30 minutes of work look away from your computer screen. Blink your eyes for some time this will help you to improve your vision.

•    Blink frequently. When you use computer it happens that you work without blinking your eyes this leads to dryness in eyes.

•    In order to relax your eyes for some time close your eyes in between. You can also do some eye exercise by rolling your eyeballs while your eyes are closed in clockwise and anticlockwise direction.