Eye treatment at Moorfields Hospital London

Evianers

It is not that I am exactly completely fed-up with the treatment I am receiveing here in France, they are, it seems doing their best, but still have not found the cause and therefore an effective treatment for optic neuritis. So having contacted Moorfields help-line, who responded within half a day BTW, they tell me that I need an S2 and that I would need a referral. But from whom please? Does anyone have definite information? Do I go to our GP for this treatment perhaps : or do I go to the consultant opthalmologist who has told me there is nothing further he can do for the moment and to come back in three months? It so happens that our GP is on holiday until 5 March, but as we do not leave for UK until 1 May, this is not a problem. But of course, to comply with all the EU rules and regulations, everything needs to be done correctly. Profound thanks in advance for anyone who can help. Grand Merci!

[quote user="Evianers"]...  they are, it seems doing their best, but still have not found the cause and therefore an effective treatment for optic neuritis. [/quote]

It does seem to be difficult to trace the root cause : http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000741.htm

It appears somewhat akin to a problem my son is having. He has had all kinds of tests with the idea of ruling out how and where his particular eye problem stems from. So far with little success. Meanwhile he is obliged to continue working as he is heading up a brand new team and his input is indispensible. I am not sure stress helps this kind of situation so try to stay calm.

First port of call I think would be your GP here and then authorisation from CPAM who will liaise with the UK re an S2.

Sue

Profound thanks Sue

for your input and I am sincerely sympathetic if you son is suffering in any way similar to me.

This problem has now persisted for +4 months and we are at our wits' end to know what to do.

Ergo, the question put to Moorfields and their response for an S2.

Called the neurologist who treated me in November and he said if it is not better, go to A+E.

Oh Lord! Not more doctors and hospitals! But if it is necessary then so be it. Only hope they

finally find a solution if we do have to go. Keep smiling eh?

[quote user="Evianers"]... do I go to the consultant opthalmologist who has told me there is nothing further he can do for the moment.

[/quote]

Have you thought about seeking a second opinion ? No idea whether someone else might be more enlightened or not.

[quote user="Evianers"]

Called the neurologist who treated me in November and he said if it is not better, go to A+E.

Oh Lord! Not more doctors and hospitals!

[/quote]

My sympathy. Our son has been to A&E a couple of times when necessary, also to the opthalmic A&E a couple of times. He is now being 'followed up'. Both have stressed that emergency treatment must be sought if a 'flare-up' occurs. He is in Sheffield though works part of the week in London, 'tis not easy.

Sue

IF this were the other way round, ie 'us' needing treatment in France, what with us having a french S1 which we hand in to the authorities in the UK, we would need an S2 from the UK.

So you would need one from France.

So call your CPAM and maybe get your Dr to get involved.

Thank you for your response, but we have been advised that an S2 is only available from a French GP or from CPAM if the treatment is not available here in France, which is not the case, it is just that I have lost faith in those who are treating me at the moment, although they have done their best - it is a condition which is notoriously difficult to treat - just feel like a second opinion in English[:)]

If anyone can advise further - thank you very much in advance.

Thank you for your response, but we have been advised that an S2 is only available from a French GP or from CPAM if the treatment is not available here in France, which is not the case, it is just that I have lost faith in those who are treating me at the moment, although they have done their best - it is a condition which is notoriously difficult to treat - just feel like a second opinion in English[:)]

If anyone can advise further - thank you very much in advance.