S2

Evianers

Has anyone on the forum managed to obtain an S2 at any stage, especially after received [unsuccessful] treatment in France. The problem is, treatment IS available, and as previously stated, the medical profession have done their best with this pesky optic neuritis, but it still isn't any better, there is no further treatment seemingly available, everyone is shaking their heads, whilst washing their hands of the problem.

Would love to go to Moorfields, but the convoluted problems of obtaining an S2 makes it seem virtually impossible.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience please?

If you are retired you may want to investigate this change in the rules noted in the second paragraph below; from https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-to-improve-overseas-visitors-contributions-to-nhs-care

As is the case already, most people, who live or work in another EEA country or Switzerland will continue to get free NHS care using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by the country they live in. This means the NHS can reclaim healthcare costs from the original country of residence.

UK state pensioners who live elsewhere in the EEA will now have the same rights to NHS care as people who live in England. This applies to all pensioners who receive a UK state retirement pension and registered for healthcare in Europe with an S1 form.

However, people who live elsewhere in the EEA or Switzerland who are not working and are under the UK retirement age should either use their EHIC if they’re entitled to one, or make sure they have health insurance if they need NHS care when visiting England. Otherwise they will have to pay for their care. This includes former UK residents, and ensures that people who already live and work in the UK do not end up paying through their taxes for visitors who are not economically active..

I think that these new rules are very good.

Have you considered

calling Newcastle and asking the people who issue your S1 (E121) as to

how this will now work, and maybe Moorlands too. Especially as the S2 is

for funding abroad and there is no mention of it.

Usually,

using the NHS, one has to see a GP and get a referral and then an appointment is made

with a consultant and one waits. So how will this 'fit' in with these new rules? It

will be interesting to know.

Good point.

Last week, we had to have an emergency X-ray. Our dentist gave a prescription for the Radiographers one floor below. Went down, registered, had the X-ray done in less than 10 minutes and only waited for the results and payment for another 20 minutes. Whole escapade completed in 30 minutes. Yes, one does wonder how this will work when the BBC gives waiting times of up to 3-6 months to see a consultant - likewise Moorfields methinks!

Waiting times, I was told recently should not exceed 18 weeks.

However, I know a few people...........[Www], I'm getting old as are so many of my friends........... who have had serious problems and all bar one, has been referred and seen more or less straight away and received excellent treatment.

The one who has not, I suspect, was not honest or lax with information he gave his GP, as even when he tells us what is wrong, it is a different story every time, and IF he really has all these problems, maybe he should write them down and show the GP.

I am however, worried about the NHS, if some things here are very good, then a few other services are being run by clowns and incompetents, or that is how I see it. And it was the same with french health care too, some things good, others not, but not the same things as here.