Informal Letting

kristiny

I want to let my property on an informal basis to a builder who will maintain the property and pay utilities but no cash rent. I will be visiting occasionally but most of the time he will be there on his own.  Does anybody know what kind of difficulties I could have if I ask him to move out at some point in the future and he refuses, or if he changed the locks and wouldn't let me in...? Any useful comments/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Kristiny, if the builder is someone you truly know you can trust - and certainly, I do have friends who I would trust like that - you wouldn't have to ask the question here. [;-)] If you go ahead, I think it is likely to turn out to be a really bad idea. Unfortunately.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. [:)]

• 2 months later...

Don't do it. Its bad enough when things go wrong and you have a tenancy agreement. Its even worse when its 'a friend', I have seen so many friendships come to a terrible sticky end on things like this, its just not worth it. You would be better off having a contract, charging him rent (he will have to pay the utility bills anyway) and then he can bill you separately for any work he does on your house. He can do it the same way as any normal French builder, give you a quote to sign before the work starts. Make sure he also has the proper insurance etc before he touches your house. In fact you should treat him like a normal French builder. You will both know where you stand and each has a form of security (the quote) in the unlikely event that things go wrong.

Good luck.