Dual American/Italian citizens desirous of living in France

Evianers

This forum is full of helpful and informative people so we are hoping that someone can assist us here.

Our American/Italian friends [Italian actually only on paper, born and raised in New Jersey] wish to come and live ultimately in France. They have contributed to any European health system of course.

Can anyone please explain the implications of this and how long it will take for them to qualify for a Carte Vitale? Although this is covered on an American website, it is only for American citizens and not for dual nationals. Many thanks in advance.

I am only answering this based on my experience so may not be correct, but, if they are Italian citizens and have an Italian passport then presumably they would be entitled to residence as EU citizens? Healthcare options... if they work or set up a business and pay cotisations then they would be part of the health system. They may be able to apply for CMU after 3 months stable residence and if they can prove they have enough resources to be self sufficient. They then pay 8% of their worldwide income over 10000 euros to cover health.

Depends if it's an EU pension , where there is a reciprocal health agreement then they should be covered by their responsible state, but if it's a US pension I think they'd be on their own with regard to healthcare and have to take out private insurance. It's a complicated one..best to contact CPAM and ask.

I believe Linda is correct in that unless they have a ten year minimum social security contribution history in an EU responsible State, they will not be entitled to an S1 or equivalent, where their responsible EU country pays for their health care as retirees. Therefore, they would have to fund their own private health insurance, which as pensioners will be expensive and will not cover pre-existing conditions.

Being an EU citizen on its own gives you no EU health care rights, as it comes down to EU residence and EU social security contribution history, as I know well being a Channel Island resident British citizen, but because I have not worked in the UK or EU I am not entitled to an S1.

As US pensioners they will have the safety net of US Medicare, so should think carefully about abandoning that if they leave the US.

Evianers, just to add in a more succinct manor, I would tell your American friends that the American website is probably still accurate for their circumstances, as whilst having EU citizenship gives them the right to live and work in the EU, EU citizenship in itself is not relevant in connection with health and social security entitlements, which is based on individual historical EU residence and EU social security contribution history, regardless of nationality.