Do I need to notify French authorities if an English resident dies in uk but has a French property and bank account

Sailingsally

Please help - my mother owns a French property and has a foreigners bank account with a French bank.

She recently died in the uk and I'm not sure if I have to register her death in France or just get in touch with the bank - if anyone can give me advice I would appreciate it.

Gosh, that's a tricky one...

You would have to tell a notaire so that the value of the house can be assessed and included in your mother's estate for probate and so that the French inheritance rules could be applied and any due inheritance tax collected in France. And for ownership eventually to be transferred or the house sold.

BUT, once the French BANK knows the person is dead I assume that freezes the bank account, and any regular payments going out of it for utilities etc will stop. I have no idea what happens then.

Was the account in her sole name? If it was a joint account with someone else, then the surviving person could still run the account as long as the names on the account were "Madame X OU [or] Madame Y".

Angela