Can pharmacists prescribe?

minnie

A fairly straightforward question. A little background though. OH and I have routine 3 monthly prescriptions which stretch back some time. Our Doctor, a lovely spanish lady, was taken ill in March and the sign on the surgery door suggests that she'll not be back before 9 May. We've already taken advantage of the one month in advance which the pharmacist can let you have. My question is - if we were to ask the pharmacist for our routine 3 monthly prescription would he be allowed to do it? I don't want to embarrass him by asking if he's not allowed and we don't particularly want to queue for what would be hours with the only other Doctor available locally. Does anyone have a definitive answer to this please?

Not really an answer but mine will quite happily redispense médicaments that were prescribed for 3 or 6 months for up to 2 years, at that stage I have to send off the ordonnance and all the feuilles de soins for remboursement but they probably would continue.

Now its not for anything dangerous its just I dont want to spend one afternoon every 3 or 6 months waiting at the hospital to see the opthalmo and to pay for the priveledge, its only eye drops to combat glaucoma, were the medicines more risky, perhaps barbiturates or whatever I'm sure the pharmacist would not continue to dispense, each time she does she stamps the ordonnance "deuxième/troisième deliverance" etc

My old memory cannot quite remember what was marked on our prescriptions

if they were to be renewed, but it was clear as to what could be

issued.

Sometimes it would be noted the equivalent of say  6 times

and sometimes monthly or three monthly and I believe that there was a

limit of a year.

Our chemist always knew what was what. Go and ask at your pharmacie, I will be very surprised if they don't know. And there is no harm in asking, especially as your doctor is ill.

I think it depends what type of medicine. I seem to remember asking once, it's an all morning session at out Dr. and I didn't have much time, but they said no. It must be covered by a prescription from your doctor.

On mine it's à renouveler  but with a number of times.

On my prescription for regular blood tests it's  for a year.

Many Doctors will only give prescriptions during a consultation which is understandable since they only get paid if they see you.

As for the Pharmacie the rules are here

http://www.ameli.fr/professionnels-de-sante/pharmaciens/exercer-au-quotidien/delivrance-exceptionnelle.php

Thanks all. I'm not too hopeful as we've already had our one month extra. However there's nothing lost from asking the pharmacist as he probably knows that our Doctor went sick early March and will not return to work until 9 May at earliest.

So what did your prescription say exactly......... if it said a renouvler, and that was up to a year or six month, then maybe  you would still be able to get it. Go and have a word with your pharmacist, that would be the best idea.

OR just go and see another GP. Doctors after all have holidays etc so are not at their surgery all the time and ours for example would get a locum in.

It just says renouveler 2 fois. This indicates 3 months and that is not normally a problem. We just routinely go every 3 months to the Dr and she takes blood pressure and gives a new prescription. Her illness is an unusal situation as there is no locum and immense pressure on the only other Dr who is due to retire in a couple of months. Meds are cholesterol inhibitor for both myself and oh and Rabeprazole for me and BP pills for him. We'll talk to the pharmacist and if needed we'll just have to visit any other Dr.....Thanks all.

It just says renouveler 2 fois. This indicates 3 months and that is not normally a problem. We just routinely go every 3 months to the Dr and she takes blood pressure and gives a new prescription. Her illness is an unusal situation as there is no locum and immense pressure on the only other Dr who is due to retire in a couple of months. Meds are cholesterol inhibitor for both myself and oh and Rabeprazole for me and BP pills for him. We'll talk to the pharmacist and if needed we'll just have to visit any other Dr.....Thanks all.