Opticians - any one tried the cheap one?

Blodwyn

Hi Blodwyn,

If you have your prescription which can be up to two years old you can order from glasses2you.co.uk. I have just received a pair having emailed my prescription as an attachment and I had my new pair within 2 weeks with free delivery to France. I am exceptionally pleased with the quality and service far better than one that I 'should have gone to' and there is a good choice of frames and added options and I got a very good discount.

Hope this helps.....Mrs KG

Have used them 4 or 5 times (between OH and me, mixture of varifocals and reading only) and have never had satisfactory varifocals.

As I am due to have a new prescription and/or cataract extraction, I am waiting for the appt in January.  I have decided that my sight is too precious to warrant messing about with lenses that aren't quite right.

The readers were fine and so were the distance ones.  What is the problem for me is that I need to change glasses dozens of times a day as the varifocals do not let me read properly.

Of course, Mrs KG, I don't know what your prescription is and glasses2you might work well for you.

My OH has the same problem, his last pair from them had to be junked after he sent them back once and they came back still unusable.

Try them once by all means as they are cheap enough.  I hope they suit you because they do have the potential to save you hundreds of euros.

We use our latest prescriptions and order from glassesUK.com. Both oh and I have varifocals and have been ordering them successfully every 2 years for the last 10 years. A pair of varifocals with extra thin lenses and reactolite cost about £100 a time.

My glasses are for distance only and to be honest I'm not bothered about the fit cos I only use them in the car and to watch TV so agreed mine are simple and the prescription came from the hospital after I'd finished all the gubbins for a detached retina and having heard about the cost of glasses here I decided on trying out glasses2you. The OH nipped over to the Jersey for his eye test at Spec Savers as he couldn't get an appointment here for almost a year and as we are within a 2 hr drive from Cherbourg it was an easy option and they insisted that he didn't have to pay for the test as he is over 60 even though he said he lived permanently in France. However, of the two pairs of specs he bought one arm keeps dropping off - not sure what you call the bit that keeps the glasses attached to your ear but I think you'll guess what I mean! They weren't the BOGOF option so really expected them to last longer than a year. I guess if you need to wear glasses all the time then you probably do want a good fit. Also, some years ago after struggling with too strong a lense I was told by the optician to have my eye test in the morning & not the afternoon as the eyes are tired (I worked on a computer all day) and therefore the prescription will be stronger.

Don't know where you live Blodwyn but it seems to me you really need to get a test booked asap here or go to the CIs/UK if that's a possibility. Don't neglect your eye health.

Thanks people! I've had varifocals from Specsavers for years and get on fine with them. I don't wear glasses all the time (one eye short sighted and one long seemed to balance out) but find I need them more now. Small print seems even smaller! And I use them for the computer.