Long-term letting

Mishtoon

Our place is holiday let but we do 'long holidays' of up to 6 months. I am sure that number 5 has valid experiences but there must be landlords who have counter-stories as well.

For instance we now always quote 'including' utilities even though that bumps up the headline price. Why?

Well the first longish rental we had was to pay for the leccy themselves. We suffered in that they hardly heated it at all. Their loss you might say ? No, an empty ungheated house generates no damp. A ventilated and heated occupied house is fine - but an occupied and poorly heated house generates damp because the moisture comes from the bodies. The remedial work after they went cost us more than 3 months rent.

In subsequent years we have not had the problem because we quite on a different basis now.

[quote user="Viralnurse"]Excellent advice!  Right now, my landlord is evicting one person right now.  That alone, will take 60 days. It is very hard to trust anyone nowadays.  Thank you for a great piece.[/quote]

Hi,

60 DAYS! French landlords should be so lucky--until this year,if a tenant resisted eviction it took up to 3 YEARS of court actions to get them out: now (in theory) a new law has reduced this to ONLY 1 year.

3 Years!  Good Grief!  I think I would have slit my throat by one year alone.  LOL  That is terrible, incredible.  How in the world is that possible?  Obviously, if someone isn't footing their bill, they need to move on.  Even a year is far too long to wait till a person is evicted for non-payment or for any bad behavior.  Maybe we have meaner people here in California than you do in France. 

Has anyone lived in the States and moved to France or vice versa, and what are your comparisons of lifestyles.  I think the French have it made, especially, with the medical benefits, and people that assist you with children in the home and house organization.  I can't pay anyone enough to get my home in shape, okay..that's a bit of a stretch since I do only live in a little trailer.  It is quite the lifestyle I have to admit.

Sorry for the ramblings...