My equipment won't work!

I have bought a second hand Sky digibox from ebay (tons of them on there at the moment), and a cheap dish from a Brico shop and stuck it on my chimney. I've pointed it in roughly the right direction and with a bit of fiddling the digibox display shows that I have 95% Signal strength and 90% Signal quality which I think is pretty good. The display straight away picks up the date and (English) time so I guess it must be Astra. The box then goes and says 'Searching for listings, please wait' and I wait, and wait... and nothing happens. I have a second hand Sky card (light blue) but I'm not really interested in getting their services, I only really want to get the BBC which I understand I should be able to get without a card. I have tried rebooting the digibog by restarting with the backup button held down but that doesn't seem to help. I have also tried the 'Add new channels' feature and entered the BBC frequency but that didn't work either. Is it possible I am pointing at the wrong satellite or is it something else even more obvious that I am missing?

Any help or advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Try the following :

1. Unplug the box, count to 30, plug back in and check the signal strength and quality. It may be they have locked on a high value and you have moved the dish. If you now have no signal strenth start aligning the dish again.

2. If it comes back at both values high, remove the card and use the sky remote to go input 501 select and see if SKY news arrives. If so leave for 4 hours and see what channels arrive.

3. Check the bearing on the dish, if you have any body French local with Sat TV then your dish should point roughly 10 degrees further East. - 'Search' on 'Bearing' in this forum for the standard notes on where to aim the dish. ( probabbly worth doing anyway )

Look at the Network ID at the bottom of the signal test box. If it doesn't say "0002" you are probably looking at Hotbird and so you need to point the dish to Astra 2.

If that isn't the problem then you need to check that all the menu options, including the hidden ones, are at the default setting.