Lost Emails, Wanadoo & Modem

Finally arrived to live in France and been connected to internet via wanadoo's extense adsl and speedtouch modem

I made a mess from the start as I've never used a modem before and could not find the directions for connection of modem etc in the wanadoo package at all - the instructions pointed to a website but I couldn't see that until I'd sorted the modem!

So no connection and telecom came up three times to look at the problem and the third chap spotted the modem lead in the wrong hole - our fault and 140 euros for the joy of finding out what novices we are.

I use Outlook Express and I thought I'd changed my assigned (and incorrect) email address on wanadoo

Now every time I open Outlook Express the page is blank! I do not have any email folders or files on the screen and I've lost all my sent and received emails.

What on earth has happened?

I seem to have 6 identities and I really only need one!

Can anyone help me please, please, please?

Manxie (who's also lost her living france email address)

Dear Manxie
I'll try with this one - but it could be a challenge!
In Outlook Express go to Tools, Options and up pops a small box.
On the General tab make sure that the first and third boxes are ticked.
Also at the bottom make sure Express is the default Mail handler.
Also back on the main screen click on View, then Layout and in here you should have Folder Bar, Status Bar, Folder List and Toolbar ticked.
Below this within Preview Pane tick Show Preview Pane and decide if you want it below your messages or not.
Hope this helps but if you have any other questions please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards
Craig McGinty
http://www.thisfrenchlife.com

>Finally arrived to live in France
>and been connected to internet
>via wanadoo's extense adsl and
>speedtouch modem
>
>I made a mess from the
>start as I've never used
>a modem before and could
>not find the directions for
>connection of modem etc in
>the wanadoo package at all
>- the instructions pointed to
>a website but I couldn't
>see that until I'd sorted
>the modem!
>
>So no connection and telecom came
>up three times to look
>at the problem and the
>third chap spotted the modem
>lead in the wrong hole
>- our fault and 140
>euros for the joy of
>finding out what novices we
>are.
>
>I use Outlook Express and I
>thought I'd changed my assigned
>(and incorrect) email address on
>wanadoo
>
>Now every time I open Outlook
>Express the page is blank!
>I do not have any
>email folders or files on
>the screen and I've lost
>all my sent and received
>emails.
>
>What on earth has happened?
>
>I seem to have 6 identities
>and I really only need
>one!
>
>Can anyone help me please, please,
>please?
>
>
>Manxie (who's also lost her living
>france email address)

Manxie, first of all you are lucky to get ADSL! It will be years before we can get it. Next, I have been with Wanadoo for a couple of years now, and have always had problems with Outlook Express. Even after installing Wanadoo's latest edition. Every time I log on, it creates another identity for me, and checks for email. Now, I am being told my friends that they keep getting their emails chucked back, as undeliverable. Have you tried getting in touch with Wanadoo???? You have to search their website with a magnifiying glass to find "contact Nous". Then they reply and direct you to their FAQ. Duh!!! If it could be answered there, we wouldn't have emailed you would we?
I am desperately looking for another ISP, which is reliable and will provide unlimited usage. Any ideas anyone? Tiscali want 76 euros a month, because I have ISDN, even though I only use one line and connect at 64k.