SIM card easy peasy....

A few friends have broken down lately and I have been meaning to get my old UK mobile phone working so that I can have it for emergencies.

We found an 'Orange' shop in Quillan (11), in the old market square, does satellite tv etc. Very helpful assistant in there, she asked me if my phone was 'unblocked', that's all she needed to know. My phone is quite an old model Nokia 3310, the assistant did everything, she changed the SIM card, activated it for me, made all the registration calls, wrote my new number in the booklet, installed a Mobicarte (30 euros), activated that, and that was it, so easy, she was so helpful. She said she would always activate the new Mobicartes if I wanted her to so do. I have since found out that I can activate new Mobicartes via the internet, the Orange site also has a section in english which is helpful. Phones can also be topped up from public telephone boxes in the area.

The only thing I need now if for Orange to increase its coverage in the COrbieres. We have reception 100 metres from our house in the direction of Narbonne, but nothing in the other direction down to Couiza. So when we go shopping in Narbonne I sit in the car park ringing and texting friends, but it is good to have for emergencies, providing the emergency occurs in Orange's range!! I will write to Orange and complain......

I have a Philips cellphone that was unblocked in the UK and I would now like to get it activated. Is this shop only Orange?
I am looking for a pay as you go service that gives me good general coverage, I'm not sure Orange does round here. Also one that is for a small amount of usage as I wouldn't make a lot of calls.
Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.