multi-standard TV?

Anyone got any tips re choosing a PAL & SECAM TV? A make/model would be really good. A sony make/model would be even better.

I also need two scart sockets a tthe back, one for a digibox and one for a DVD player.

I'd prefer a 14" or 15" portable type model if possible.

caveat: I don't really know what I'm talking about here so please be gentle: if I've asked for summat stoopis, it's 'cos I am stoopid.

Bill

Just go along to your nearest hypermarket/BUT/etc and look at the displays. In most cases you will find an information card which will tell you how many scart sockets etc.

My own view (possibly not universally shared) is that tv sets have become commodity items and the extra cost of a well-known brand is to provide revenue to support the brand. Most of them seem to be assembled in low wage countries.

Look at the displays, compare the picture quality, pick the one you like best.

I can't answer your specific question on brand recommendations as that is very much a personal thing. However can I presume that you already know that televisions purchased in France are multi-standard as the norm.. (unlike in the UK) .. therefore you will have the pick of the shop. The big stores will usually have loads of display models working for you to select from..

I've been looking for a French TV, have not yet seen one in 38cm or less with more than 1 peritel, you seem to have to go up to 55cm to get 2.

Bill

You can of course purchase a 1 to 2 or more scart adapter. these are available switched or not. In the UK, Maplins have them.

As to models, some time ago I did some research and discovered that Thompson did a portable model 14" I think, available UK and in France. Slight difference in numbers, but internet research showed model specs to be the same. Anyway, took a chance and purchased via Internet cheaper than buying in France. Set the machine up in UK, all was fine and next visit to France just plugged in allowed it to auto retune itself and get an excellent picture.

If you're interested will find details of model and supplier info.

regards
George, Kent & 72

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Cheers everyone... didn't know French TV's wrere multi-standard by default. George, if you can let me have your model details, I'd appreciate it... Thanks again....[/quote]

Bill

Sorry for delay went back to France for a week.  Model no. is Thomson 14MG131G, bought on the Internet from unbeatable.co.uk for around £79 last May