TV, Microwave, DVD, ETC do they work in france?

I am sure that this has been covered some where, but I am new to the forum, and can't seem to make the search work,

Could any one please tell me which items we can take with us to france, and which ones will have to be replaced.

fridge/freezer,  microwave, toaster, kettle, coffee maker, washing machine, iron, TV, DVD, Video,

many thanks for all your help,

Bev

Hi Beani!

I replied to the PM you sent me, as I said, don't know why it was sent to me? Did you press the wrong button?

As I said also, try to learn how to use the search option, it will save you a lot of time, and posts such as above, however well meaning have been asked so many times, that frankly, I doubt anyone will reply.

Please don't take offence, just advice, try the search options, and take some time to get used to the forum.

Best wishes,

Bob

Hi,

I thought I'd reply cos the "search" facility on this new forum seems sadly lacking - well, it certainly didn't work well for me when I tried it out!

Beanie, most of the things you mention will work here but you'll either have to spend ages changing English plugs to French ones or resign yourself to running umpteen English appliances from an English extension lead (with just the one plug changed at the end of that). Microwaves, toasters, coffee makers and kettles etc will work fine here.

I think some things depend on age - for instance our televisions, VCR's, DVD players have worked okay here, but they were only a few months old when we bought them in the UK (hence the decision to bring them over. If any of my English equipment had been old I would have scrapped the lot and bought new here), but others have said that their equipment would not receive French programmes etc.

Your UK washing machine will work but will be "cold fill" only. Personally, this was one thing I wasn't prepared to muck about with (the combination of water and electric) so we left our old machine in the UK and bought new here (not expensive at all).

I hope this has helped.

Penny

Hi

Essentially everything will work OK except :

1)Washing machine (you need to buy a U pipe adaptor for a few Euro)

2)TV is a different system, but -

a)modern sets may be multi system

b)modern sets can be driven through satellite / VHS connectors when they work as a slave. However TV kit is so cheap today, it is not worth bringing it over ?

3)Telephones need a cheap adaptor

10 years ago electrical kit was sold without a plug, and you could buy a 10 pack of French plugs cheaply. Now everything comes with a plug, so replacement French plugs work out more expensive if you need 20 of them. I have a mixture of replaced plugs and stuff I still use with an adaptor ............... and that is after 15 years !

BTW the cheap adaptors don't cope well with high current (e.g. fan heaters etc.) Learned that the hard way !

Peter

[quote]Hi, I thought I'd reply cos the "search" facility on this new forum seems sadly lacking - well, it certainly didn't work well for me when I tried it out! Beanie, most of the things you mention wi...[/quote]

Dear Penny

your post was very useful but did not enlighten anyone as to whether or not the remarkably similar (to the English) Scottish , Welsh and Irish plugs, appliances and extension leads would also work in France.

The Scottish appliances here are working very well although I have had to change some of the Scottish plugs to French ones...

Danny