Hi I am new to film downloading but have tried 3 films so far using SuprNova, the problem I have is poor quality, jerky and freezing pictures and broken up sound, I have tried windows media, real player and nero but all the same, my computer is getting on a bit now with voodoo3 graphics and creative sound blaster pci card, could this be the problem or do you have any other ideas
Any help much appreciated
Chris

[quote]Hi I am new to film downloading but have tried 3 films so far using SuprNova, the problem I have is poor quality, jerky and freezing pictures and broken up sound, I have tried windows media, real play...[/quote]

The "problem" is the source and connection speed!

[quote]The "problem" is the source and connection speed![/quote]

This is true unless you are downloading the films onto your hard drive & playing them from there, which is what I suspect you are doing..

If this is the case, then your PC isn't up to the job. Any video requires alot of processing power (and memory). There is nothing wrong with your Voodoo card (I use one), but it does rather date the machine!

BTW, films downloaded from the likes of Kazaa are of a notoriously poor quality, so this may also be your problem. But you wouldn't admit to doing such as despicable thing, would you?

[quote]This is true unless you are downloading the films onto your hard drive & playing them from there, which is what I suspect you are doing.. If this is the case, then your PC isn't up to the job. An...[/quote]

Hi Nick, thanks for the advice, I think it might be the card as my daughter has downloaded the same film and had dvd quality playback on a newer computer, do you think that just up grading the card would fix the problem?

[quote]Hi Nick, thanks for the advice, I think it might be the card as my daughter has downloaded the same film and had dvd quality playback on a newer computer, do you think that just up grading the card wo...[/quote]

No, to be honest. Your Voodoo should be up to the job (do you know what model it is?). What processor/memory/op. system are you using? What is your daughter using? And why has she got a better pooter than you?

[quote]No, to be honest. Your Voodoo should be up to the job (do you know what model it is?). What processor/memory/op. system are you using? What is your daughter using? And why has she got a better pooter ...[/quote]

Nick

System is as follows

sound-- creative soundblaster pci

graphvoodoo 3

Pentium 3 450       128 mb ram

xp professional version 2002, service pack 2

Does this tell you anything?

Thanks, Chris

[quote]Nick System is as follows sound-- creative soundblaster pci graphvoodoo 3 Pentium 3 450 128 mb ram xp professional version 2002, service pack 2 Does this tell you anything? Thanks, Chris[/quote]

I can't guarantee it, but I suspect the problem is your processor speed and the memory. One solution is to change the motherboard (and perhaps the PSU, depending on the age of the machine) for a P4 > 2GHz, and the memory (to 512Mb).

More practical, however, is to simply replace the system unit. You should be able to get one (sans HDD, K/B, mouse, Screen etc.) for around 400E. Fitting your original drives is a doddle.

Of course, if your HDD (what is it?) is slow, then this will have an impact, too (especially when considered along with your lack of memory!)

XP SP2 is quite slow (IMHO), especially on an older machine.

You could take the opportunity to add a decent DVD +RW drive (not expensive) so that you can write files back to something.

Or you could start again with a nice 19" LCD, digital sound, balck case, etc etc.....

Or you could do it in bits until it works.

HTH!