Two ADSL connections

I'm lucky enough to be on ADSL, as I was in the U.K., but since we have over here I have been trying to connect both our laptop and PC onto ADSL. I am sure it can be done?? My first attempt here was to piggyback the two filters, silly boy the first one filters out the ADSL carrier (there should have been a clue in the name 'filter'?). Well my excuse was that it was these archaic connectors in France... So I bought a side by side 2 way adaptor, still doesn't work

Anyone with any ideas please. The only loading on the line, with both connected, is the 2 filters and one phone. If the French system is to a similar level to the U.K. then overload should not be the problem?

John (Aude and loving it!)

To share an ADSL connection between 2 computers,

1. You could ( if your laptop and Pc have ethernet facilities built in ) use a single crossover cable between them and set up a network that way, but both computers would have to be on! Usable if you only have a USB modem.

2. Best way is to have a stand alone modem, with a built in router to serve the 2 computers by cable, or to buy a modem with router and wireless networking built in. You could then run a cable to, say, your PC, whilst surfing the net from the lounge, by wireless, when a boring ad comes on TV. A lot of laptops have wireless networking bult in, (i.e. Centrino), but a card to slot in the side, or a USB dongle is not too dear.

3. You can have up to three ADSL filters on a phone line (says my provider, Wanadoo). Obviously one to filter off the ADSL signal to the modem, but all phones (on any other sockets) need one to keep ADSL out of the phone itself.

MikeW

I have just keyed in a load of text and it went down the path to nowhere. I will try again.

In the U.K., before we moved over, I had the two linked with an ether net cable. Since we have been here the two won't talk, hence the attempt to go separate waze. After a lot of trial and error I did manage to get the PC to look at some of the laptop files, but the laptop can't see the PC. I have tried all that I know so if anyone has the setup for ether net connections i would love to know them.

Having the ADSL facility on the laptop has been a boon because the PC was hit by a virus last Friday which had the charming habit of letting the PC boot part way then dropping it and starting again. You could watch it do that all day if you wanted. Don't you just love these pilots (with a 'k')! Personally I would break their fingers and then tell them to use a keyboard!!!! One of the outcomes was that I have now lost almost all of my recent family photos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, ta,

John.

P.S. How do you get the blasted spell check to stop when you have used it part way through a message. The dammed thing switched it's self back on after every word until I did a preview and then finished the message!!!

The first tip I can give you is to install a good antivirus package, if you already have one then make sure it is up to date with the latest definition file.

Firstly, how are you currently connecting to the internet or are you using a friends PC.

Secondly, what operating systems are you using (ME, NT, 2000, XP etc.).

Thirdly, before you start playing with the setup to much check the basics. The most obvious one is if the desktop has a separate Ethernet card reseat it (remove it from the slot and put it back in the same slot). The laptop probably has a built in card so there should be no problem there.

I am making the assumption that you are using your desktop on ADSL in France and that it works fine, is this correct?

[quote]The first tip I can give you is to install a good antivirus package, if you already have one then make sure it is up to date with the latest definition file. Firstly, how are you currently conn...[/quote]

Hi Chris, thank you for the info and questions. I'll try to answer.

"The first tip I can give you is to install a good antivirus package, if you already have one then make sure it is up to date with the latest definition file"

I have AVG Professional and it's slap up to date. It updates every time I go online.

"Firstly, how are you currently connecting to the internet or are you using a friends PC"

They are both our PCs and and are ADSL via the filter. The operating sys on the PC is Win 2000 Pro, on the lapyop is XP Home without SP2 at the moment.

I haven't reseated the ethernet card on the PC as yet, but it can see and update files on the laptop. I will reseat it. The lapyop has a built in ethernet connection.

Both the PC and the laptop work independantly when either is plugged in the phone socket on theit own. And we are just the other side of Carcassonne from you, permanently .

I think this answers your questions, ta,

John.

[quote]Hi Chris, thank you for the info and questions. I'll try to answer. "The first tip I can give you is to install a good antivirus package, if you already have one then make sure it is up to date with ...[/quote]

If you can see the laptop then the units are talking to each other.

I assume you were previously using the desktop as the master i.e. the one with the ADSL modem. If this is the case then access the internet on the desktop and then on the laptop try to access the internet make sure there are no dialup settings in the browser and that it is set to access the internet via a network. If that does not work then disable modem sharing on the desktop then reboot and re-enable it as this will act as a DHPC server for the laptop so to get a new address you will then have to reatart the laptop.

Let me know how you are getting on, email me directly via my profile if you like.

Hi

I would suggest you use a router and ADSL modem combined . I use a olitec brand available from Cora, and other large supermarkets in france .200 version or something like that . It comes with one USB port and one ethernet port . This gives you a minimum of two connections an up to 256 connections using a switch ! The router also acts as a good firewall (essential with ADSL) the router is about 99 euros but worth every penny

All you need is one of the pcs to have a network card installed (from about 10 euros in supermarkets ) one ethernet cable cat 5e - avoid crossover cable as it is proven to cause problems (documented online and I have had problems with it ) the other PC is connected by a USB  cable .

the setup is a little tricky but manageable for most . The advantage is that the router does the sharing of the internet connection and not the dreaded hopeless microsoft internet sharing ! The router is always on so the connected computers do not have to be switched on for one or other to work . As soon as you turn on the commuter you are connected .

There are wireless versions available but with a cost implication . Wireless is effected by thick walls and interference from door bells alarms and many other sources - It can be unreliable .

I have up to  5 computers running off one of these routers with no problems .

Good luck