Help please on Email problem

I have advertised a piece of garden machinery for sale and have had 2 replies which I am not sure whether are "bona fide".  The 2 replies have Yahoo.com addresses and have Yahoo ads at the bottom of the emails, and me being paranoid about weirdos on the computer and don't know enough about the technology, are suspicious of them.  Am I right to be suspicious or what?

Another problem I have is that everyday I have the same message which tells me that I have an undelivered message and that to see it I should do something or other to look at it but the address is similar to mine but not exactly.  I realise that it is probably some sort of scam but it is really annoying me that I have to delete it everyday and could really live without the need to if somebody could tell me whether I could cancel it for ever.

It maybe that the answer to the first problem is ....perhaps but how do I reply to them without leaving me open to invasion.  My reply involves sending a picture.

Weedon

where did you advertise? This may have a bearing

Most people use a webmail account for replying to ads/posting to public forums so they don't get their addresses harvested by spam bots, so the fact that they are yahoo mails doesn't necessarily mean they're not bone-fide.

I expect that if you were to send an email to yourself using your yahoo account it would also have the yahoo advert on the bottom - you don't see it when you compose the email though.

Yahoo emails always have ads in them, so as Hoverfrog says I shouldn't worry too much about that.

The undeliverable message with a garbled email address means that someone with a virus infection has your email address in their address book, it doesn't mean that it came from you. I get these all the time, and as a Mac user I am immune to the virus that sends them, but my address has come up somewhere on an infected machine.

Thanks both of you for your replies and I think I am reassured as being a bit naive about email I didn't appreciate that people have different addresses for different things. I think I am doing well to have just the one to use. So as Winston Churchill apparently used to say "keep b*******g on".

Weedon

"....everyday I have the same message which tells me that I have an undelivered message and that to see it I should do something or other to look at it but the address is similar to mine but not exactly.  I realise that it is probably some sort of scam but it is really annoying me that I have to delete it everyday and could really live without the need to if somebody could tell me whether I could cancel it for ever...."

Not the entire answer I know, but you could always block the sender.

'Messages' / 'Block Sender'

I get a lot of these so made a new folder called suspect mail, then set up a rule to move any incoming mail with an attachment into this folder (I could have set the rule to just delete them, but I would have run the risk of losing something I actually wanted to open that way) then I can just look at the display text without opening any, and delete the lot in one go.