Illegal Premium numbers to connect to Net

Does anybody know if the problem exists in France, of your computer being hijacked by a file that connects through premium rates, costing you a fortune in phone-bills?

There has been a lot on T.V. and radio in England about this problem, attacking computers that are not on broadband!

As we live in the back of beyond, Broadband is not an option. Am I worrying for nothing...as usual!

Dotty (Happy Christmas!)

Yes it can happen here, see my post about the English speaking desk at FT further down the listings. 

Broadband is on its way even if you do live in the back of beyond, much of rural France is in the back of beyond but we should still have it by the end of next year,  in the country it will be will be provided by radio staions according to the French news

Thanks, Ron for your reply and sorry I hadn't realised you'd already wrote about it! The reply that Baz gave:

A final suggestion to be absolutely safe is to remove your phone plug from it socket when not using the internet.

Baz

seems a very good idea, and this is what I think we'll do in future!

Good news that Broadband is coming to us all, although I must admit, that on the whole we're quite happy with the snail-pace!!

Thanks again,

Dotty

Dot

Baz's idea is not going to help much as the change in number you are connected to occurs only when you are online, and is often initiated by a download from a web site without you realising it.  With the latest virus and internet protection it should not happen and you should delete any E mails with attachments from addresses that you do not know.  You should also watch for odd things going on when you are online like strange pop ups or E mails suddenly firing off without you sending them.  All you can really do is to check your connection from time to time to see that the number you are using has not changed.