There are two approaches:

1. Get a wireless ADSL modem/router, and a wireless PC card for the laptop, and possibly a (non-wireless) network card and cable for your PC if you don't have one. Costs are about UKP 80+40+10 for the lot. The wireless router means that the laptop will work if the PC is turned off, and also it provides a firewall (amongst other things)

2. Get one PCI wireless network card for your PC, and a PC card wireless for the laptop, and use "Internet Connection Sharing" (see the Windows help file for how to do this). This is slightly cheaper, UKP 60+40, but the big PC needs to be on for the laptop to connect and it is slightly more clunky. Also because there is no central wireless transmitter, the signal will not transmit as far.

I have done both, the modem/router approach is definitely preferable in the long term.

If you have a local area network (cables or otherwise), you may be able to run a Proxy Server on the computer that currently has access to the internet. There are free-ware proxy servers available (e.g. http://www.handcraftedsoftware.org/) and they are not too difficult to setup. You may easily find a proxy server solution cheaper than a WiFi one depending on what network cards (or built in cables network connections) your computers may already have. Another benefit is that it doesn’t disrupt your existing computer connection and doesn’t need WiFi cards or other RF stuff (thus cheaper).

Just another of many alternatives.

I have a laptop and a desktop PC both sharing simultaneous use of broadband internet.  With the set-up I’m able to access files on the desktop from the laptop and vice versa, move them between the PCs and print from my laptop to the printers which are connected to my desktop.

Despite having used PCs for 10 years, I ended up a bit confused when I started researching what to buy!  I wanted to have 2 (or more) PCs connected to the broadband account I already had and to be able to transfer files between the PCs and also for the PCs to be able to print to the laser and inkjet printers I have.

I bought Belkin equipment, although other manufacturers sell the same sort of equipment.  I bought an “ADSL broadband wireless router” P5D7630UK4A for about £80 which replaced my Alcatel broadband modem and is also the “hub” of the wireless network and is connected to a telephone and power socket in the kitchen (central in the house), a F5D7011 PCMCIA wireless network card which plugs into the side of my laptop (about £30) which connects the laptop to the wireless network and a F5D7000UK which fits into a PCI slot in the desktop PC and does the same for about £25.

There are 2 main wireless technologies available at the moment, known as 802.11B and 802.11G – make sure you buy 802.11G equipment as the file transfer speed is faster and the equipment does not cost much more than 802.11B.

I found setting up the equipment not quite as simple as the instructions suggested and was grateful for the “free” (UK normal number) help from Belkin’s technical helpline.  (Belkin equipment also has a lifetime warranty).

The set-up works well – the broadband connection possibly feels slightly slower than with the direct connection though the Alcatel modem however the freedom to use the laptop anywhere outweighs the slight speed penalty.

Although I haven’t tried it yet, the laptop card should also allow me to access the internet from a “wi-fi hotspot” in a hotel / café etc.

Both my PCs are Windows XP, although it should be possible to network PCs with different operating systems.

Have a look at the Belkin.com website for further info, and also Microsoft for how to set up file and printer sharing, which wasn’t mentioned in the Belkin instructions – the instructions dont really give information on how to use the network.