Help with Instalation of SKY!!!! Please Help

Hi

I'm thinking of being brave and Installing Sky Myself.... I have a Grundig Box but need advice as to what dish and LNB I need, and where I should get them... Also general advise as to setting it up... I'm in Toulouse what size dish do I need??? Any Brand??? Any LNB??? What is an LNB??? Am I mad to consider doing this myself???? Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Suggest you down load 'Understanding Sat TV' and if you still fancy doing the job yourself 'Installing Sat TV'  which cost a small amount of money.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/

In broad terms if you can thread a needle and ride a bike then you will not find the job too hard. LNB = The thing which sits on the end of arm aiming at the dish.  Broadly an 80 cm UK sourced dish which is wider that it is tall will work in Tolouse.  The bigger the dish the harder it is to align - Think of looking of for The Duke of Wellington on a distant hillside - The more your telescope magnifies the harder it is to find him. Make sure you understand the difference between the notional position of the sat over the equator and where you need to aim the dish.

The main practical problems I have found over the years are :

People basing their alignment/direction on  French dishes and not allowing their dish to point about 10 degrees further east.

People not checking they have clear vertical line of sight to the sky.

People not giving enough time for the signal strength and quality to update on the Sky Digibox. Not switching off and waiting to allow a new reading when they have locked on but not got a good signal strength or quality.

Back when Racquel Welch wore a fur Bikini there was a great running thread on this forum.

I have left a message,

Good luck!

When I moved to France I also moved my Sky system. The system had been setup previously in the UK (done all the stuff authorising the card with Sky, etc.), so all I had to do was to re-fit the dish and extend the dish to Sky box cable.

I have some DIY skills but that was all it needed. Obvious warnings about drills, ladders, etc. when mounting things. Web site http://www.brymar.co.uk/info/info.html told me everything I needed to know. Apart from drills, etc. to mount the dish, I used a old walking compass to get the approximate alignment. I purchased a new mounting bracket and additional cable from a local DIY store and the entire job took around an hour. And I’ve even got a better signal strength and signal quality than I had in the UK.

Maybe I was lucky but I managed it fine (a 2nd person would have speed things up a bit).