Changing ISP & Microsoft Outlook

We have just set up a Wanadoo account and are trying to send and receive e-mails through Microsoft Outlook (2000), I ahve tried following the instructions given by Will the Conqueror under FAQ's but when i try to send e-mails I get an error message saying that the Wanadoo server cannot be found, even though I am logged on with a Wanadoo account. No doubt there is a simple solution but I am struggling to sort it out. Can anyone out there help? - Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find the info that I am after in a search.

Steve

Hi Steve,

If you’ve set up your Wanadoo internet connection / Email from a CD I think it sets up Outlook “Express” rather than Outlook at the default email programme.  (It’s a long time since I installed Wanadoo – and it was using a UK CD).  I use Outlook and I think I had to set it up manually.

You could try checking your Outlook settings:

·         Open Outlook (it will open in “inbox” by default)

·         Click on “Tools” > “Email Accounts…”

·         Then “View or change existing Email Accounts” > “Next”

·         Your Wanadoo Email Account should be listed together with any other Email Accounts you have.  If it’s not there you will have to go through the “Add a new Email Account” process

·         If it’s there - Check that your Wanadoo Email is the “default”

·         Click on the Wanadoo account so it is highlighted and click “Change…”

·         Check that the correct details are in the boxes, I don’t know what should be in the “incoming / outgoing server” boxes on a Wanadoo French connection – probably something like pop.wanadoo.fr / smtp.wanadoo.fr  The “Log on using SPA” box should not be ticked

You can test whether the settings are correct by clicking the “Test account settings” button.

There are other settings you can tweak within Outlook (“Tools” > “Options”), but these are the main ones you need to get right for it to work.

Hope this helps!

I hope that you didn't use the Wanadoo CDRom. The French Wanadoo software is most invasive (far worse than AOL) and should never be used under any circumstances.

when i try to send e-mails I get an error message saying that the Wanadoo server cannot be found

You have probably spelt the name of the server wrongly. It should be smtp.wanadoo.fr (for Wanadoo France).

I am moving to France (24) next month and a friend who is going out there at the weekend is going to get me the Wanadoo disc so I can get internet access organised as soon as I arrive but you say that you should never set up Wanadoo in this way as it is very invasive. I am not very good with the world of I.T. so excuse me for asking this - if you can't use the disc then how do you set up Wanadoo?

At the moment I have 24/7 internet access with B.T. in the UK and I pay about £17.99 per month for unlimited access (dial-up not broadband). The cost is included in my B.T. phonebill every month. I wish to have the same unlimited access to the internet for a fixed monthly fee when I move to France and for all my emails to send and receive via Outlook Express. Is this possible and which ISP would you recommend and what is the cost etc?

I use Wanadoo and agree about the Wanadoo disk. All you need are your usernames and passwords, the telephone number (if dial-up) for the service you are subscribing to (e.g. Pay-as-you go is one phone number, fixed max. hours per month another, etc.) You then just set it up as a standard Internet dial-up connection.

I did find that when I went to ADSL I needed to install the Wanadoo CD to get the drivers for the ADSL box. However, I then managed to delete out all the actual Wanadoo software.

Not only is the Wanadoo software very invasive, but I found it quite buggy. Every few days my modem would completely lock-up (normally on-line) and the computer refuse to shut-down (loads to internal XP tasks “Not Responding”. This was completely solved when using a standard Windoze dial-up to make the connection.

How easy you find it to do without the Wanadoo CD will depend on either your language or IT skills. Wanadoo technical support will talk you through setting it up without their CD but they mostly speak French (some people there speak English but they are hard to find as they are often busy – it’s a premium rate number. If you are technically orientated then you will have no problems.

You can install the Wanadoo CD to get the phone numbers, Outlook, etc. configured, then remove it (at least that used to work OK – don’t know if it still does.

I downloaded the disk from Wanadoo’s site before moving to France and you can then set it all up online (using the software). Remember that some UK telephones do not work in France (even with adapters) and I guess the same may be true for UK modems ? e.g. one of my BT telephones worked fine except it would not ring. Others have said that some models of DECT telephones can give problems so modems may be the same. If you already have a UK modem, all you can do it try – but modems are not expesive.