Connection to the web

Assuming that like me you don't want a subscription service, I have been using www.free.fr for the last 3 years but found it increasingly difficult to get a connection over the last 6 months, to the point where it has become unusable. Some other recommendations on this forum have included www.freesurf.fr, and I just signed up with that a few moments ago (from the UK) - very simple process. I will start to find out whether it is any good when I go back to France on Thursday.    

Steve L

I'm currently in UK until next month and groping my way through pay as you go internet set-up from la poste.net.

I've got as far as receiving my adresse electronic and password.

The following doesn't seem to relate to Will's link or IE connection wizard.

e.g no dial-up number for connection. Is the tarif added to phone bill as in UK or do they take it directly?   

It will be too late when I'm back in France without a connection! 

Any idiot-proof advice gratefully received!

<script language=JavaScript1.1> </script>
 <script language=JavaScript>document.write(messageDate);</script> Jeudi 27 janvier 2005 - 10h37
Accéder à internet
 En bureau de Poste
Découvrir Cyberposte
La liste des bureaux
S'abonner
Choix de l'offre
Identification
Données personnelles
Compte e-mail
Journaux gratuits
Paiement
Confirmation
Accueil
Echanger
Rechercher
Accéder à Internet

Etape 6 / 6 - Finalisation de votre inscription

Félicitations, votre inscription s'est déroulée avec succès !

Vous avez souscrit l'offre suivante :

Suivez bien les instructions suivantes afin de finaliser l'installation de votre connexion La Poste sur votre ordinateur :

1. Imprimez ou notez vos informations personnelles

2. Téléchargez et installez votre assistant de connexion

1. Imprimez ou notez vos informations personnelles

Ces informations personnelles vous serviront par la suite pour utiliser tous nos services : gestion de votre espace abonné, accéder à votre boîte aux lettres, appeler notre Service Client ...
Un conseil : imprimez les ou notez les soigneusement !

Votre boîte aux lettres @laposte.net
Ces paramètres sont nécessaires pour lire vos courriers électroniques sur le site http://www.laposte.net/.
Ils sont également nécessaires pour aller dans l'espace qui vous est réservé pour gérer votre abonnement à la connexion Internet sur http://mon.accesinternet.laposte.net/
Consulter votre Espace Abonné
Votre adresse électronique:***

Once you have your login and password you can login into the "abonne" section here: http://mon.accesinternet.laposte.net/

This probably has a "help" sub-section with connection information.

Or you could just chose another ISP like Tiscali or Wanadoo, both of which do PAYG access and both of which give you all the codes and dial-up numbers you need instantly and clearly. Others do the same: 9Online, ClubInternet, Tele2, Cegetel etc.

PAYG access is billed by the second to your FT phone account. Any "forfait" that you might take is billed directly by the ISP and you don't pay for the call. Hence the importance of knowing what you have signed up to and what numbers to dial.