Change of identity – in emails, that is

I have recently created several identities within Outlook Express (along the lines of [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] etc), so that when my work falls into different spheres, I can direct incoming mail automatically to the right folders as it arrives.  And I can also write to people with a From heading appropriate to the topic I am working on.  This is working well. 

When composing a new email, the window always brings up the default identity [email protected] as the sender (which is fine, as that’s what I use most of the time anyway).  Of course, should I want to compose a  new email as if from one of the other identities, I just select the one I want in the drop-down "From" window.  No problem there, either.

However, when I am replying to an email sent to me at [email protected] by clicking “reply”, I am finding that – unless I am quick enough to notice it and change it -  the reply goes as if from [email protected]/  This is very confusing for the recipients, of course!  It always switches itself to the same one (i.e. always showing the bbb address), not sometimes to the bbb one and sometimes to the ccc one.

Have I made that sound very confusing?  Sorry.

Can anyone suggest how I can sort it out?  I have checked the default setting in Tools-Accounts, and it is still shown as the aaa one.  I am using MS Outlook Express 6.

Many thanks in advance

Angela

Hi Angela

Have you tried checking the Tools... Accounts... Mail... Properties... tab?

There's a "Reply Address" option, what is this set too?  I believe (although I could be wrong) that if you leave this blank it should default to the correct email address.

Send yourself a mail from [email protected] and try it out.

hope this helps

Loiseau, you are confusing identities with accounts. They are not the same thing. You have set up several accounts and OE treats them as you describe.

Just select the right account from the drop-down box before replying, as you have been doing.

Thanks for the input, folks.

Cathy, I tried what you suggested, and indeed I did have the Reply slots empty, so I put the appropriate From addresses in them, but it has not made any difference  :-(

So Mazan, I guess you are right (as ever!).  I just have to *always* look before pressing "send", to make sure I have selected the right From address every time I have hit a Reply button...

Angela