French satellite

We don't get very good reception of French channels through an aerial, so we were thinking of getting a satellite system.

Can anyone tell me what free channels we'd get with either an analogue or digital system? Why are the analogue systems so cheap? Are analogue signals going to be phased out?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheryl

We didn't get any signal at all here in 12 until we fitted a booster to the aerial, try that first, we now get a great picture on all channels except 6 but I gather that this is a problem in other areas of FRance also.

Analoque will be phased out In France, but no date is planned to do so, unlike in the UK,  it is cheap because a lot of people use it where normal reception is impossible and it is "old" technology so to speak

The 6 main terrestrial channels are duplicated in analogue on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5 deg west.   They are however broadcast using SECAM colour so will only display in b/w on 90% of UK sets.  NO probs on a French sourced TV.

All 6 channels are also on Hotbird 13 deg east in digital,  but encrypted (disgracefully,  in my view, as they have achieved an unfair monopoly on some of the channels,  but that's another story) by TPS.  Sadly, France has no mechanism for issuing viewing cards for national channels in the way that cards for ITV/C4 are issued via Sky in the UK.

Astra 1 at 19 deg east has some of the nationals (2, 3, 5 and Arte) encrypted via Canalsatellite.

At present you can also get the public sector channels in the clear in digital on Atlantic Bird 3,  but this may only be temporary as there is talk of scrambling these too.

The analogue AB3's will almost certainly be around for some years,  enough to justify the £30 or so for an analogue set up.   The reason for this is that France's analogue TV transmitter network relies on these signals in the event of a failure of the microwave distribution system that is the prime carrier.

Bear in mind that the FR3 news programmes broadcast from the satellite don't have the regional and local opt-outs. Instead, they have a couple of sections made up of selected stories from all over the country. You can, however, view the all the local and regional sections for the past few days on the FR3 website:

http://videojts.france3.fr/.

Roger.

Hold the front page!    There is something new out called TNT television specifically for French analogue systems with bad reception.  Darty sent me a promotional e-mail yesterday morning, so when we were in Narbonne we popped in to ask about it......none of the sales people had heard about it! Typical....Nevermind the basic idea is this: it is a small decoder (various prices) which is also a signal booster.  It offers 14 channels for free including the usual ones.  It works with old analogue tv's and only needs a small internal aerial, some prices as low as 14 euros.  Have a look at www.darty.fr

I have a feeling it is not available in all areas of France.

Oh dear, it's getting difficult! I do like the local news. I checked the Darty site and our commune isn't even in any future programme for coverage by that system.

This is going to take a bit more thought!

Many thanks

Cheryl

Oh dear, it's getting difficult! I do like the local news. I checked the Darty site and our commune isn't even in any future programme for coverage by that system.

This is going to take a bit more thought!

Many thanks

Cheryl