Is a Scart a Scart?

I'm 99% sure a scart is a scart, it's the other bits that will get you like the standards that the TV supports vs what the player will output.

French TV's use a system called SECAM where as we (UK) use PAL and the yanks use NTSC, a modern TV should be OK on all of the standards but you should check first.

If you play PAL into a SECAM only tv the picture will be black and white.

Paul

A scart is a scart, but a lead is not.

A full, 21-pin wired scart lead carries stereo audio in both directions, composite video, separate R,G, & B signals, and their earths plus a wire from pin 9 to pin 9 to carry switching volts... (ermm, let see, 2,4,6,8,  audio, vid, 10,12... RGBs, 14,16,18, volts 19.... screen 20.... nope, must have missed something.... syncs?)

A thin, cheap one probably hasn't got the RGB's

paul

[quote]If I took a double scart connector from the UK, will it work with a French TV? I want to take a dvd player but the sat box uses a scart too.Thanks[/quote]

what do you mean by double scart?  If it is simply a 1 into 2 connector/adapter without a switch between the 2 input sourcesif will give poor results as the loading/interaction of two devices on the same single scart will reduce the signal quality.

I don't think you're going to have a problem. Most French TVs have at least 2 scarts, and many have 3. In addition they usually have other additonal connections for RGB(red green blue) or video+audio(yellow, red white) via the small RCA plugs.  I would guess that your DVD probably also has these types of connections so if neccessary use these instead.

regs

Richard

Hi Richard

The Scart I have is simply one connection which goes into the Tele and then a short lead to a box with 3 scart sockets in which you could plug in 3 scarts. No switch.

Thanks for the info on the televisions. It sounds like I might not need to worry.

I am planning on buying a French TV when I arrive and then using the scarts for the sky box and DVD. Then I was also thinking of going the whole hog and getting an aerial so I can get the French Terrestrial TV too and I wasn't sure if I would run out of sockets.

Thanks