I have a virus ! Or do I ?

Hello

My computer was playing up, ( running slow , popups, AOL disconnecting ,PC restarting ) so I followed the info on this forum.

I've downloaded the free versions of Spybot, AVG, Adaware & Noadware.

The popups have stopped & the PC seems to be running faster.

AOL disconnecting - perhaps the phone lines or AOL

PC restarting - perhaps the house power supply

My big worry is Noadware shows up a Backdoor.ryejet worm.

None of the other scans do.

Could this be a false positive or could the others have missed it.

I wouldn't like to take a chance, so could anybody tell me how to get rid of it please.

[quote]If you have AVG installed update the virus database You need to sort this virus out, first read this: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.ryejet.html and then do a c...[/quote]

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I updated my AVG & did a complete scan but it still shows no infected areas & no viruses.

Only Noadware shows the virus & I only downloaded them all 2 days ago so they should be up to date.

Will they be limited in what they find because they are free versions ?

Can anyone recommend a good one which will find & remove all viruses etc.

I'm using AVAST!

Its also a free down load and Its been excellent.

There has been a spate of nasty nasty worms and trojans lately. Fortunately Avast seems to have got to them all without any consequences ( I hope) but i have to say that the frequency of new ones thought the 'pipe' is getting somewhat alarming.

I will be setting up an old 'banger' computer in network to rn the internet connection and firewall. This I am told will provide an extra layer of protection to the main workhorse here 'on desk'

good luck (to us all)

(and a plague on the hackers and virus authors everywhere)

Andrew

[quote]I'm using AVAST! Its also a free down load and Its been excellent. There has been a spate of nasty nasty worms and trojans lately. Fortunately Avast seems to have got to them all without any cons...[/quote]

I use AVAST as well, and find it very reliable.  As Andrew says, the home edition is free, and as new virus definitions can be automatically downloaded almost daily it always stays up-to-date.

As for the NoAdaware issue, it seems that it does have a bad reputation in this area.  It could well be that it is reporting a false positive for Backdoor.ryejet.

You might like to take a look at a discussion on the very problem you are having here http://forum.iamnotageek.com/history/topic.php/1819066323-1.html

There is also a fairly damning report here http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000023.html

Hope this helps

[quote]I use AVAST as well, and find it very reliable. As Andrew says, the home edition is free, and as new virus definitions can be automatically downloaded almost daily it always stays up-to-date. As for...[/quote]

Thank you very much to the people who replied.

You were all very helpful.

It seems Noadware is a no-no then & the others were correct.

Unfortunately I missed the last posting & because I use the internet for some banking, shopping & work I didn't want to take any chances so rushed out & bought Norton internet security 2005.

I suppose I could have saved my money but at least it will give me peace of mind for the future.

Thanks again for the replies. I'm sure the info will be useful to a lot of people.